truss rod channel

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stwemac rod requires a 7/32" wide slot but thats only really necessary at the anchor blocks. You can use 1/4" bit but should shim the blocks in solid afterwards to prevent any rattling. The standard length for a normal size guitar (standard scale, short scale , doesn't matter) is the 18" truss rod. As far as "where" you rout depends on where you want to place the fretboard, allowing for a spot to get adjustment access.

Heres a tip for keeping things clean when gluing and clamping the fretboard. Just prior to applying glue lay down a strip of 3/4" masking tape over the length of the slot, spread the glue on the neck face and then pull the tape off. This keeps the immediate area around the truss rod free of glue. Set and clamp the fretboard.

im still very confused... im looking at http://www.alliedlutherie.com/truss_rods.htm but i dont know what length i need. i have a 25.5" scale (standard) and the neck itself will be about 19" long... can someone tell me what length i need? also, are these the kinds of truss rods that come out of the headstock and you adjust with an allen wrench?

im still very confused... im looking at http://www.alliedlutherie.com/truss_rods.htm but i dont know what length i need. i have a 25.5" scale (standard) and the neck itself will be about 19" long... can someone tell me what length i need? also, are these the kinds of truss rods that come out of the headstock and you adjust with an allen wrench?

17 1/4" is what you need...stewmac would be the 18"

stewmac also sells quality fretwire...i got the super jumbo last time...it feels scalloped it is so huge.

Wes is right, that's the size you need to get for guitar and Stew Mac does have some good fretwire. I've bought some medium and wide sized fretwire and they both level out nicely. I do recommend though to get the tallest fretwire you can in the width you need, that way you have room to level and recrown the frets, and is just better to learn on.

you can make a router table. it's a valuable tool for any shop.

all you need is a small wood table and a router. here are some how to guides

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive98/7...johnsrtab1.html

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/smr-rob-.htm

you can set it up to do most of the curves on your guitar or do straight edges (doubles as a jointer) and you should be able to use it to do what it is you're talking about.

i have a table mounted router, but because the neck isnt flat (42mm at nut, 56 at the end) the channel wouldnt be center. on the fret wire, whats the advantages/disatvantages with hard/soft? and on the truss rod, how would 17 1/4" be long enough when my neck is 19" to the nut? it wouldnt go all the way through

and on the truss rod, how would 17 1/4" be long enough when my neck is 19" to the nut? it wouldnt go all the way through

Exactly. It doesn't matter, the truss rod will cover 95% of the neck anyway so it won't make any difference in its performance.

i have a table mounted router, but because the neck isnt flat (42mm at nut, 56 at the end) the channel wouldnt be center

I always rout my truss rod channel BEFORE I shape the sides and back of the neck ie. while its still square. But you aren't screwed yet. I found its easier to rout a truss rod slot from above so you can see what is going on. Clamp your neck down onto a table and set up a guide (for the router) so it is aligned as if the neck were still square.

There is a certain order to making your neck and I think you should sit back and think about everything that needs to be done to completion before continuing. Figure out what sort of problems/difficulties might arise if you did one thing before another. Its all common sense. I don't start ANY project until I have it right in my head. During that time I am constantly working out ways to get things done the easiest way possible with the resources I have on hand.

on the fret wire, whats the advantages/disatvantages with hard/soft?

Hard lasts much longer, but you need to work a little harder at levelling and dressing. Sometimes its worth the 70 bucks Stewmac charges for the REAL diamond fret files.

thanks alot southpa, westheman and guitar frenzy

the reason im routing my truss rod AFTER i cut the sides is because im following the tutorial on the main page. this is my first guitar project of any kind, and i did not realize that this would happen. i'll keep that in mind next time.

im on stewmac's site, and i think im going with the wide (.100" i think) and highest fretwire. how much do i need? will 2' suffice? thanks again all, you've really helped me out

17 1/4" is what you need...stewmac would be the 18"

stewmac also sells quality fretwire...i got the super jumbo last time...it feels scalloped it is so huge.

i used the stewmac 18" hotrod on neck measuring 19"(did the job just fine!)

besides, the 18" rod is never quite 18", more like 17 3/4.

i was told today from a friend that the dust from my cocobolo fretboard is toxic! is this true?

Yes, make sure you wear protective clothing, repiration apparatus and at least two condoms :D.

cocobolo - Dermatitis, irritation to nose and throat, conjunctivitis, bronchial asthma, nausea

Edit: I found many sites... here's one:

http://www.iswonline.com/cwb/200208/woods.htm

with tips on protection (Prevention is your best cure.)