truss rod channel

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

maybe an edge guide on the router it's self, assuming your neck blank is still square... like the first couple of pics in the "making neck thru" pinned above.

i have a router, actually... dunno about the right bit though

the bit size depends on the type of truss rod you will use

maybe you should read stewmac's tips on installing truss rods,derek's tutorial on using a router,and just read alot of old threads on this forum to get a better idea of what it is all about :D

If you are using a double action truss rod, I would go with LMI's rod instead of Stewmac's. LMI's rod uses a standard 3/8" router bit while Stewmac's uses a special 7/16" router bit that you must buy from them.

I plan on using my router table and a fence to do my truss rod channel. Be sure that you use multiple shallow passes rather than on pass at the desired depth! This will decrease the chances of the router jumping and prevent wood burning.

Hope this helped.

erm so if i have the 3/8" router bit from stewmac I should buy my truss rod from LMI so i can just use my bit I have for the channel?

question: how do you know how long your truss rod should be when you order it? something off of scale length? you have to have your neck made? etc?

Guitarfrenzy- you're the first ive seen too, i live just outside of bryant, how bout you?

I live around 30 miles south of Pine Bluff. It's was hard when I started building guitars to find any local luthiers to talk to. I got interested in guitar building and repair after I took my dad's old Gibson J-45 banner year guitar to get it worked on and was charged over 300 dollars.. lol... Speaking of luthiers.. There's a couple good ones in Little Rock, and another in Batesville, but I haven't gotten to meet any to learn anything. I got a friend from Crossett who also is building guitars and we trade ideas. I always borrow his Stew Mac router bit to drill my truss rod channel out.. lol I'd also recommend you using a dual action rod even if it's not a stew mac one. They are much easier to install and work great.

Guitarfrenzy- you're the first ive seen too, i live just outside of bryant, how bout you?

I live around 30 miles south of Pine Bluff. It's was hard when I started building guitars to find any local luthiers to talk to. I got interested in guitar building and repair after I took my dad's old Gibson J-45 banner year guitar to get it worked on and was charged over 300 dollars.. lol... Speaking of luthiers.. There's a couple good ones in Little Rock, and another in Batesville, but I haven't gotten to meet any to learn anything. I got a friend from Crossett who also is building guitars and we trade ideas. I always borrow his Stew Mac router bit to drill my truss rod channel out.. lol I'd also recommend you using a dual action rod even if it's not a stew mac one. They are much easier to install and work great.

would you reccomend the LMI (lmii.com) double action truss rod?

Yes they are really good also. You might want to check out Allied Lutherie site, some people say they are basically the same as LMI's, but for a much lower price. In my opinion there are 2 good things about these type of truss rods. One, you can use a standard size router bit. Two, the depth of the slot isn't as deep as the stew mac's has to be. But, don't get me wrong, Stew Mac's Hot Rod is a very good dual action truss.

If you are using a double action truss rod, I would go with LMI's rod instead of Stewmac's. LMI's rod uses a standard 3/8" router bit while Stewmac's uses a special 7/16" router bit that you must buy from them.

erm, no....

7/16th is the depth of cut. it is actually a .225" bit. I use a standard 1/4" bit and it works just fine. Im sure many other ppl here do the same.

erm, no....

7/16th is the depth of cut. it is actually a .225" bit. I use a standard 1/4" bit and it works just fine. Im sure many other ppl here do the same.

Thanks for the correction.. Yeah I gave the wrong numbers.. that's the depth of the slots, I had just woke up.. lol But I would still recommend using the .225" bit for the Stew Mac Hot Rod if you wanted a nice tight fit without any binding. Sorry, but it just works better for me to do it that way. I'm still interested in how good the Allied Lutherie ones work. If I'm not mistaken I think Krazy D bought about 10 of them.. lol Maybe he can shed some light on it.

Cool Mike, maybe we can form an Arkansas Luthier's Club.. lol :D