Sanding through the SAGA SEALER

SLOW AND SCARY.

That is what it's like to attempt to sand the sealer off this thing.

It's the SAGA PRS kit.

I know a couple of people (Including myself) were curious about this, so I decided to bite the bullet.

I was using 600 grit as recommended, it takes along long long long long long long long time. I finally see alittle bit of the maple. Just trying to not sand through the maple top. It loks really good when it is wet. I am so tempted just to tint coat it. But now that I'm through in areas, it won't be consitent. I think staining black first will enhance the look, but I am just so afraid of sanding through.

• 2 weeks later...

It is taking forever and I am taking a break right now. That sealer is tough and I DON'T want to know how soft the veneer is. I am determined to finish this sucessfully. I started with 600 grit as Brian recommended.....I'm starting to wonder if he was being sarcastic. 600 barely got through any of the sealer. I started using 320 and we were moving a little quicker (Still very carefully). I have gotten down to the wood in a few spots, but still have 95 percent covered with sealer.

Once I get through the top sealer, I am gonna blaze through the back with my electric sander. That will be nice. I'm just really dreading going through that veneer.

I wouldn't recommend getting the saga kits if you plan on doing a real stain unless you want to go through this headache.

I plan to write to SAGA and request that they don't seal this kit anymore or at least offer it without.

I'll post again when I get thecourage to finish it. I have 3 other project axes and 2 bands to take my attention.

i screwed the veneer on my saga kit some months back. i was using 280 and 400 grit paper. i sanded through some parts. :D

i got disgusted with both the body and myself. so i just re-applied sealer and painted the damn thing black. i'm still working on it right now.

i wasn't expecting the kit with sanding sealer already applied. so, yeah, it would be a good idea to write SAGA about this.

• 3 years later...
SLOW AND SCARY.

That is what it's like to attempt to sand the sealer off this thing.

It's the SAGA PRS kit.

I know a couple of people (Including myself) were curious about this, so I decided to bite the bullet.

I was using 600 grit as recommended, it takes along long long long long long long long time. I finally see alittle bit of the maple. Just trying to not sand through the maple top. It loks really good when it is wet. I am so tempted just to tint coat it. But now that I'm through in areas, it won't be consitent. I think staining black first will enhance the look, but I am just so afraid of sanding through.

So, what was the outcome?

I am wondering if a paint remover would work better in this case. I used a paint / poly remover that I bought at Home Depot on a old bass I got off of eBay and it worked great. After the finish was removed, I could safely sand with 320, 400 & 600.