Lady of the lake finally done.

Clavin

The hair is pipestone. It's also heavily engraved.

Craig

Hi, I am new here, and am pretty new to inlay, but I think I got a nack for it. You can see a couple pictures of my 1st attempt in my signiture links. I have a new concept, but don't know much about engraving. It isn't complete, but you can see it here:

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/im181owne...lay_concept.jpg

I think it would make things much easier if I could do some of it engraved. Would you mind giving me some pointers? How is it done, and do you use ink or dye or somethign to fill in the engraved lines? If so, how do you keep it from bing wiped out? Do you coat it with something?

Thanks for any help!

That's great work on the les paul.

Keep it up.

As far as engraving goes I did a post a while back on it, and the tools/techniques. If someone knows where it is maybe they can lead you to it.

Good luck.

Craig.

That's great work on the les paul.

Keep it up.

As far as engraving goes I did a post a while back on it, and the tools/techniques. If someone knows where it is maybe they can lead you to it.

Good luck.

Craig.

Thanks for the compliment. Means a lot from someone like you. I done the searches, but nothing came up. Can anyone help me locate this thread? I'll do my homework before I ask questions.

Thanks,

and :D ON!

Clavin<I gotta thank-you a million.Your inlay finally gave me an idea for what I was going to do to my neck,(different image and theme).

Like I said before beautiful work.Any pics of other work?Or are they already posted-if so where?

That's great.

Any time I can inspire is a great thing!

All of my inlays, pretty much, can be seen at (insert drumrole here)

www.handcraftinlay.com

I'm listed on the friends page of this site as well.

So Whats your new idea?

Craig

That's great.

Any time I can inspire is a great thing!

All of my inlays, pretty much, can be seen at  (insert drumrole here)

www.handcraftinlay.com 

I'm listed on the friends page of this site as well.

So Whats your new idea? 

Craig

Clavin,

This is my concept, I think it would be a little easier if I could engrave some of it.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/im181owne...lay_concept.jpg

Thanks for your interest.

Imunwell2, I saw that the first time.

The bike on the whole istelf isn't a problem, the lady isn't either.

The main amount of engraving would be the motor.

The way you have it set up there you could take weeks just engraving it.

Engraving , when done correctly is a completely seperate level of art than inlay. It's one of the oldest and most demanding art forms out there. I am just beging to feel slightly comfortable with it myself.

I don't want to turn you away from it, but I would either draw that out by HAND, and not just computer, in a way that minimizes the motor being limited to mainly being cut out of silver, and ebony.

You can also accomplish some fine lines with silver dust, but you may want to cut out all the pieces.

I practiced engraving for a long time on scraps before I ever touched my graver to a piece of shell.

Craig.

• 2 weeks later...

i cant see the pictures wat the heck there red x's, can someone send them to me through AIM