Questions About Poly

I am getting ready to paint a couple guitars, and am thinking about not using acrylic again, just to see how much better poly is. Do Ihave to use a different primer/sealer than the one I was using before? Does poly come in spray cans, or do I have to use a spray gun? Where do I get poly, automotive paint stores?

StewMac sells aerosol poly, but it's kinda pricey. www.stewartmacdonald.com

Otherwise I undertand that you can get 2 part poly at the automotive dealer. I guess 2 part is more toxic, but leaves the highly praised poly finish. I am about to indulge in this endeavour myself.

Please check into the safety concerns with the component poly (and others). I have read that it is extremely toxic and there may legal issues to be aware of as well. I have also read that a full body suit is required when dealing with that stuff.

I think there are many builders on this site who are using indoor "spray booths" (I use that term very loosely for those who are using the fridg. boxes with space heaters) - I don't think this stuff is the right finish for that type of setup. I've been looking into finding a body shop that will spray for me but haven't put much effort into it yet.

I'd love to hear from someone with experience with component poly as to their opinion on garage/basement usage. I have a feeling it is not recommended without a proper ventilated booth - if at all. Nitro is really not any safer when it comes to using a poorly ventilated booth but using poly would make me even more nervous.

Disclaimer - this is not meant to kick up a firestorm of poly vs. nitro arguments.

StewMac sells aerosol poly, but it's kinda pricey

Where did you see this? All I have ever seen is nitro?

Nitro - you can get from stewmac and other places. I have not seen poly sold by stewmac but maybe I'm missing something.

I think LGM did something in the pinned area concerning all of the finish options and some comparisions. Check through the pinned threads and see if that helps.

The pinned thinged help a little, but the questions asked that were never answered are the questions I have, too. Poly and Nitro are out if it's going to cost $100, but the poly in a can (one-part poly) seems like the next best thing. Can I only get it at autobody suppliers? Is it as good as two-part poly? Also, what if I spray the guitar with acrylic and used clear poly over that. Would I get the same glossy, hard finish, or would that not work?

If I can't find poly in a spray can somewhere near me (I don't want to have to order it), I will probably end up doing my guitar in acrylic.