Floating Tremelo? Fixed?

Hi :D

Can someone please fill me in on what a 'Floating' FR Tremelo is, and what difference there is between that, and a fixed one? (if such a thing even exists? hah)

Thanks a lot B)

- Dan

Ahhhh, So if I want to be use the tremelo to raise the string tension as well, I would need a floating one? Lovely B)

Would I be right in saying the floating ones would be more complicated though? as far as breaking/replacing strings and replacing a set of strings ect ect?

Thanks for your help!

- Dan

ps: I actually did know about Floyd Rose already, but that was my fault for not fielding the question properly - thanks anyway :D

Would I be right in saying the floating ones would be more complicated though? as far as breaking/replacing strings and replacing a set of strings ect ect?

If you are talking about building a guitar with one - I'd say go for it. The only tricky part is the locking nut. Practice drilling the holes for it on scrap until you've got a feel for it (and make a template if you're up for it). You can also do a top mount locking nut although some people have reported trouble with the screws staying in the wood after a while. Check into this if you are interested - I have not done a top mount locking nut myself.

There is some routing required but you can get templates from stewmac (maybe other places?) for that.

If it's what you really want, I think you should do it. It takes a lot of blood/sweat/tears to complete a guitar (especially when you are first getting started) - it would be a shame not to end up with the type of guitar you really wanted.

There's plently of help along the way from people here if you need it (and of course by doing a search). Good luck!

P.S. - changing strings takes a few turns of a screw on both ends - other than that it's not much different than a fixed bridge. Floyd haters will probably argue this but it really isn't a big deal at all.

Hey Dave,

Thanks a lot for your advice mate, however right now im not really that interested in _building_ a guitar with a floyd rose tremelo, its more im actually looking into buying a guitar with one in the future. For the moment my 2 first projects that I have lined up (the first of which i am in the depths of at the moment), are for guitars without tremelo's - but i guess after that the sky is the limit... so who knows :D I have no objection to having 20 guitars in my house if need be, so once im more skilled hten ill look at creating my own super strat with a floyd rose B)

Still, if you woudlnt mind, im interested in what happens when you break a string with a floating floyd rose compared to a fixed one. With the floating does it throw the whole guitar out of tune? Its things like that im interested in, since although ive played guitars with them before, ive never owned one so ive never had the burden of maintaining one.

- Dan

Yes, the other strings will detune when one breaks.

Here's my thing on the Trem issue (none of these comments are directed at you or are in any way accusing you of anything - just a general rant):

There seem to be a lot of people picking at some of the "drawbacks" to floyd type bridges lately. Things like "losing the guitars tone", "tuning not stable", "hard to replace strings", "loss of sustain", ...

My opinion is, if it's good enough for players like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, George Lynch, ... why is it so horrible for a no-name player? I don't know of anyone who sits around listening to these guys and saying "boy that floyd is really ruining his tone".

It's just strange to hear some no-name garage player complain that some of his tone or sustain has been comprimised by his trem. No one cares! No one notices!

On the other hand, if you just don't like them or you find them awkward, then I have no issue with that. Just don't tell me that the bridge isn't good enough for your playing.

(again - not directing any of these comments at you - just my feeling on the issue)

I agree with daveq. I'm new to building but not new to hearing comments about details that are almost indecernable to the average ear. The line seems to get lost when it comes to what the human ear can pick up. I've noticed some people (other forums but not much here) getting picky about tone issues that are so minor that only a person with canine hearing could even tell a small difference.

Tone is very important to me but finding the balance between tone, playabilty and practicality is what I look for. ie...in playing blues I don't dive bomb a whammy, I do more single note bends with vibrato so my first project is gonna have a fixed bridge.

My strat has a vintage style bridge while my G&L has a floating bridge. I personally love the feel of the floating, 2 fulcrum bridge more. Especially for songs that require vibrato on full minor 7th&9th chords. :D

Anyways jivin...I'd say go play all styles of guitars that you can get your hands on at music stores side by side and decide what you FEEL is right to you and your playing style. B)