that planer level problem a couple of us had

krazyderek

remember, some of us had that problem where the planer woule leave little levels at either end of the board that are lower then the rest??

i was putting the finaly thickness into another neck blank and i decided to try and use the left side of the planer, to my amazement the board came out afterwards with no low level parts.. i tried back in the middle and right.... they came back.... tried back on the left..... they went away :D

so maybe you guys might want to try that, i don't kow why it works, it just does, thought i'd share.

For the record, the problem you're experiencing is called 'snipe'. Given that the problem doesn't occour on one side of the planer, I'd hazard a guess that it's an adjustment issue, and that one side's adjustment is squiffy. That said, it's supposedly pretty rare to find a planer which doesn't exhibit at least a tiny bit of snipe.

I was reading a magazine a few weeks ago that rated power tools. In it, they had a series of planers. They compared how well they did in various categories - one of them being snipe. The description for my model said something like "with the cutter head locked, it produced the least amount of snipe". After reading that, I remembered seeing the locking lever and it all made sense.

So, they all do produce some amount of snipe but locking the head really made a big difference - to the point where I need a magnifying glass to see it. Without locking, it was easily visible.

I don't know how many planers have the locking option.

Derek - are you in/out feed tables adjustable? Mine has two screws under the area where the tables meet the main body. The screws adjust the height of the table and also the level.