Sweep Picking...

canuckguitarist

i'm more of a 5 string sweeper guy, but yes i do find them easier then 3 string, more time between the direction changes lets you keep timing better i find.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow.....this is weird, does anybody find 6 string sweeps easier than 3 string sweeps? :D

Um, no B). I find the 6 string sweep more difficult.

Try this:

^ h ^ ----- ^ h vS p v ------ v p v p

e |-------------5-9-12-9---------------------|

B |-----------5----------10------------------|

G |---------6---------------9----------------|

D |-------7-------------------11-------------|

A |-----7------------------------12-7--------|

E |-5-9-------------------------------9-5----|

Try this:

:D that ain't a sweep acording to my finger B)

Try this:

:D that ain't a sweep acording to my finger B)

Well, I recorded it to an mp3 here. I played it clean (w/o distortion) and slowly so you can hear the hammer-ons and pull-offs and the slide. Hopefully y'all can hear that it is done with sweep picking.

Excuse the old man's sloppiness :D.

wow.....this is weird, does anybody find 6 string sweeps easier than 3 string sweeps? :D

Um, no B). I find the 6 string sweep more difficult.

AHHHH! man, I want my 3 string sweeps back!!!! :D

EDIT: Oh, and nyjbkim, do you split 6 string sweeps up into 2 - 3 string ones or do you do the finger rolly thing?.......if that makes sense.... :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have y'all heard of Tony McApline? A guitarist I know gave me a DVD of his with some lessons on it. He plays some tunes and then shows some of his tricks. Supposedly he backs Steve Vai and some other virtuoso types. Anyway he's good and cool to watch.

Definitely a class player, though a bit more firmly ensconced in the 'shred' genre than I normally listen to. I'd love to get a few lessons from him, though.

Totally. Check out the new G3 vid. The bald keyboard/guitar player is MacAlpine. Vai's set really rocked. He had so many good players besides himself, shows how comfortable he is with himself and his playing. Wish I was there.

actually, it a threesome (lol)..

check out vai dvd LIVE IN ASTORIA and you will see macalpine,vai, and dave weiner play on each other neck in one song (cant remember which one right now )

i actually see them live on g3 tour when they got here in montreal last winter, thats was unbelievable !!!!!

:D

actually, it a threesome (lol)..

check out vai dvd LIVE IN ASTORIA and you will see macalpine,vai, and dave weiner play on each other neck in one song (cant remember which one right now )

i actually see them live on g3 tour when they got here in montreal last winter, thats was unbelievable !!!!!

:D

you are one lucky guy..

AHHHH! man, I want my 3 string sweeps back!!!! :D

EDIT: Oh, and nyjbkim, do you split 6 string sweeps up into 2 - 3 string ones or do you do the finger rolly thing?.......if that makes sense.... B)

D'oh! This is old. Sorry, I didn't notice your EDIT: before now. I think you're saying 2 - 3 string ones from the left hand view perspective. Hmm... I see it more as the whole picture. So, I guess it is the finger rolly thing... if that makes sense.... :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Basically MUTING TECHNIQUE is VERY Improtant and all you have to understand is that all the downstroked/the sweep, is actually ONE(one motion, your pick sweeps or pushes into the next string with the muting technique muting the previous string you played)

About muting technique.... right hand mutes the strings you played and left hand mutes the strings you are going to play and you pick plays the string you havent muted.this is when sweeping down when sweeping back up its the oppositte. the left hand mutes the strings you played and well the right hand dances.

take up any two string sweep practice that forward backward and you can advance.

Try this

e-------15---19-

b----17---------17

g-16---------------16

three down three up. do it with a major 7th arp(the a6th fret on the g string becomes a 17, thus you now have a two string bar) it sounds nice! use a dimini arp and the shape coming back will be a mirror image..so youre doing 1-3-4's, OR 4-3-1's on differnt string groups on the highe b nd g. good for people starting out with sweep.

also visit www.francescofareri.com

and rustycooley.com

the exercise above aint mine, its cooleys. enjoy! :D

Edited by westhemann

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Whoever said strum when talking about sweep picking... ARGH!

Sweep picking needs to be thought of as a motion carried out by your entire hand. Try not to do it so much as a wrist motion. The idea of the wrist motions is to avoid hitting undesired strings.

Practice three string swept arpeggios on basic triads in order to work on your technique. Start very slowly and with a metronome. Let your right hand move up or down the bridge in order to let the pick sweep on the strings. The tricky part of sweep picking is the coordination of the left hand.

Here are the most basic shapes to practice:

e|-15-12----

B|-------13---

G|----------12-

D|--------------

A|---------------

E|---------------

And you also practice the same as a downward sweep. Very gradually working towards bigger sweeps or different shapes.

If you use a strumming motion, your sweeps will be limited and sloppy.