s/s/h? or h/h?

Elton

i have a charvel about to be assembled and painted, but the body is s/s/h wouldnt i want a h/h body to achieve more of that rock sound? like i was thinking of 2 emg 81's.

why do some peopel get 2 of the same emg pickup on one guitar? they are both used at the same time right? cause on my washburn electric its a s/s/h and it has a 5 way strat switch. the switch activates each pickup seperatly right?

sorry about that question, lol im such a newbie

The 2 pickups on a guitar (neck and bridge) are not always used at the same time, infact they are more ofen used seperatly. Even though the pickup types may be the same the sound produced by each is very different; this is due to the placement of the pickups. The general rule is - the close the the bridge you go, the more treble (or high frequencies) are produced. People normally use the bridge pickups for rhythm playing. The closer to the neck you go, the more bass will be produced; giving a smoother tone normally used for lead playing. Hope I helped :D

personally iwould rather have two hums with coil cut capabilitiys or phase reversal

When asking about pup tones you'll get alot of opinions from people and sometimes this kind of thread can get pretty heated :D (although the guys around here are pretty mellow).

I would suggest going to a music store and trying different guitars that have both types of pups in them. :D

I find that smaller, privately owned music stores have employees that know what they're doing and are willing to help. I think that the bigger chain stores like Guitar Center make me feel like I'm walking onto a car lot and alot of the people are just trying to sell you something and don't really care about you.

Anyways... B)

Try guitars with as close to the same specs in every way, except for the pups, at a local music store and make sure that you use the same amp on each type.

Another suggestion would be to find out what your favorite guitarists have on their guitars and pick the sound you like most. Just keep in mind that the tones you here on record are made by more than just the pup type but you may get an idea of what you want. Alot of guitar mags go into 'the gear of the pros' complete with effects setting, guitar set-ups and amp selection.

Good luck in finding the tone that makes you say "Yeah! that's it. That's my sound!" :D

Elton check this out.

http://www.shrikemusic.com/guitarworks/guitar.htm

In short singles are thinner weaker and brighter

Humbuckers are thick warm and powerful with more sustain and bite.

Both are good, but for different sounds.

It sounds like you want humbuckers....which there is a ton of variety.

wouldnt i want a h/h body to achieve more of that rock sound?

Both types of pups are used in rock. Do you know a player's tone you are going for?

In short singles are thinner weaker and brighter

Humbuckers are thick warm and powerful with more sustain and bite.

Both are good, but for different sounds.

It sounds like you want humbuckers....which there is a ton of variety.

I don't agree with this description but it's a very subjective thing. Once again I suggest testing them out at a local music store. There are so many different aspects that make up tone in a guitar that make it hard to make generalizations like sethmetal has done. No offense seth, I just don't want him to run out and buy a set of buckers based on what someone else says they like only to be dissappointed after the money is spent.

I don't TOTALLY agree or disagree with this description.

My main point is that finding 'the tone' is very subjective. What one person likes is not what the next person may like.

'The Rock Sound' covers a pretty wide tonal spectrum in my opinion. If you have a particular player's sound in mind this may be helpful in finding the sound you are listening for.

The rock sound is pretty broad, but generally the "harder" the rock the more humbucking we tend to get.

The only powerful sounding singles I hear are actually double coils, either stacked or sidebyside.

The only thin sounding humbucker I've heard is the Humbucker form hell, which sounds close to a single.

Can't go wrong with a humbucker, at the very worst you have 4 useable sounds. Series, parallel, and often two different sounding single modes, as opposed to a single coil where you have on and off.

typically people use the HH combination of pickups. But i've found that having SSS or HSS is pretty cool as well, if you have a set of hotrails in there. I think those mini humbuckers (humbuckers that fit in single coil slots) are pretty cool. I like the way my RG sounded more before i put the EMGs in it. It had a HSH, with a hotrail in the middle, and a JB in the bridge. Awesome lead and rythm sound, and the powersound reacted quite well with the wood, so it made a very nice accoustic sound.

Rock is an extremely wide spectrum. Humbuckers would be best if you're going for metal or hard rock sound (but it all depends on position, position, position). Of course, punk and tons of other kinds use single coils as well. If I recall, I believe the guitarist in blink-182 uses 3 single coils.

Just try out as many different configurations as you can, then you'll know.

I just bought a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB for my bridge pickup, and a Duncan SH-2 for the neck pickup. They can do unlimited combinations since they have four conductor cable which will allow you to split the coil electronically. You can get in phase, out of phase, series or parrallel, etc. So if your wanting a guitar that can do it all, then you'll want pickups that are humbuckers, but can split so it can act like a Strat sound single coil. That's just my opinion though. There are alot of options out there. Check out http://www.guitarelectronics.com for wiring diagrams also.