The Teles that I am building

Hi All,

The next phase in the construction of the Blue and Orange guitars are documented and posted on the web site. I have/had a challenge with the Orange guitar and the Fishman Piezo bridge, in the string holes are in a different location than where they were drilled on the guitar my Musikraft. Argh. But managable.

Photo's and what not are on my web site at http://www.stormriders.com/guitar/telecaster

Have fun and see you all later. :D

Guitar Ed

Hi Scott,

Yes I can, and I have in the past. But I have been very unhappy with the results. I have found it very difficult to mount the PUP in anything resembling a vertical stance. They just pitch towards the neck, and I don't like that. Also, I find it easier to control PUP height with the mount, vs. using a body mount. So.....

FYI: The Fralin Tele PUPs come with wood screws for mounting the neck PUP, and metal screws for mounting the bridge PUP.

Later days,

Guitar Ed :D

Guest AlexVDL
The Blue Tele is SWEET!!! B)  I dont understand why you had to use the clear plexiglass to mount the neck pickup. Couldnt you mount it directly to the body?

Same with me.... oh man... why that clear plastic???? It's such a beautiful top... I would almost cry :D

But then again, it's your guitar. But it's nicely done though!!

Keep up the good work.

:D

Hi Alex,

Thanks for the compliment. The guitar almost looks better in the photo than real life.

The reason I used clear rather than colored is to not hide any more of the body than required.

My main b&%#&t about Fender is best exemplified by the Merle Haggard Tele. Beautiful wood, covered by a pick guard. Ugh.

Later days,

Guitar Ed

Gotta love those Relic marks :D Thats a sweet looking axe, and an even sweeter looking cap on it!

I'm kinda with the rest of the guy's though on the mount issue, I think I'd just switch over to a complete (standard sized) clear guard (homemade of course) so it can be used as a pickup mount for the neck.

Guest AlexVDL

I don't like pickguards either, but I like the look of a pickup mounted into a pickguard. So I invented my own solution for this. I didn't want to insert the pickups from behind like danelectro does, or the Ibanez frank gambale models from '95. But in a square cavity you cannot apply a pickup, because of the wings for the hight adjustment screws on the bottom plate of the pickup. Se look at my next pic how I solved my problem.... the tricky part is getting the spring for the hight adjustment into the cavity, but I used a drop of solder to attach the spring to the pickup :D

pups.jpg

Guest AlexVDL

Hi, in my case I used a neck through, but the neck wood isn't the same thickness as the body. It's a mahogany body with a one inch thick maple board glued into it. You can see a little line in the finish, that's because the woods shrink and expand different from eachother.... but as for your question, how did I rout the cavity?

Well I routed it before glueing the neck. Only the two cavities for the springs. After glueing the neck into the body I routed the square. And after that I used a chisel to remove some wood so the whole pickup can be slid downwards so that the top wing on the baseplate can fit the cavity... uhm it's very difficult to explain, please look at the next pic.

pups2.jpg

DOn't know if your done yet, but if not, what i'm doing with my tele, to keep everything OFF of the pickguard is a trick my buddy who is a luthier told me. Then pickup mounting ring screws from gibson style rings fit into the mounting holes of the pickups without messing up the threads. (this was an important point for me, i hate when people ruin pickups by stripping/drilling the mounting holes)

http://www.stewmac.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?a...atalog/sku.html

thats a link to stewmac's mounting ring screws.

F1sh

• 2 weeks later...

How-DEE. Kind of like Minnie Pearl, from the Grand Ole Opry.

Anyways, the blue guitar is (almost) finished, and it is playable. :D Need to add the knobs and the plastic tip to the switch. But it plays very nice and smooth. B)

Later days,

Guitar Ed :D