New way of making neck pocket?

I learned in wood class rabbet cuts with a radial arm saw, so why couldnt you do that for a neck pocket? it would be better then routing i think, and you can use the wobble blade for it and just go beside each cut again and and again, it would take less time then a router, and all you do is just adjust the height, has or will any one try this??

Curtis

i don't don't know what that is, but as it stands a router is the only way to quickly carve or route :D a 3 or 4 side box into a peice of wood deep and/or precisely

i just used my first template yesterday(thanks to derek)to rout for my seven string floyd.i think router and template is hard to beat.i doubt i will ever rout freehand again.

i also made my own template for the rear rout by taking a piece of maple,clamping it to the back of an old body with a floyd rout,drilling a 1/2" hole through the maple to fit my bit through,and using a flush trim bit to rout all the wood out...worked very well

All amateur/hobbyist first-time guitar builders who have a full-bore professional radial arm saw at their disposal please raise your hand...

:D:DB)

Gimme a $60.00 router, a template, and a pattern cutter bit anyday, and I'll slam out 100 neck pockets a day...it's something everyone has access to and works easily, quickly, and repeatedly with professional results. :D

The best thing for neck pockets is a real table router. I don't know how it is called in english but my father restores vintage motorcycles and has a very huge standing machine for doing precise routes in metal. That is the best tool I ever used for making 100% precise neck pockets. The routing desk can even be adjusted for angled cuts. But this machine costs about 5000$ and I guess it would not be worth it for doing woodwork like guitars where you don't need that 1/1000 mm precision.

The best thing for neck pockets is a real table router. I don't know how it is called in english but my father restores vintage motorcycles and has a very huge standing machine for doing precise routes in metal. That is the best tool I ever used for making 100% precise neck pockets. The routing desk can even be adjusted for angled cuts. But this machine costs about 5000$ and I guess it would not be worth it for doing woodwork like guitars where you don't need that 1/1000 mm precision.

milling machine...you can get a decent one for about $1200

i had to look it up just to make sure i knew what it was cause i haven't taken wood shop for a while, but i do remember using one of them...

How exactly would you make a neck pocket with this? you must be reffering to a deep set (all the way over the top of the body) neck tennon?

B0000789HI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Yes you can use a radial arm saw for neck pockets (see #a), no it isnt any faster, and no its not more accurate.

#a a radial arm saw is only good for neck pockets which finish in a pickup cavity, as the radius of the saw gets in the way and will cut into the body.

All amateur/hobbyist first-time guitar builders who have a full-bore professional radial arm saw at their disposal please raise your hand...

uhh... .\||/ :D

Gimme a $60.00 router, a template, and a pattern cutter bit anyday

but yes, the radial arm saw is for speaker cabs and square things. it might be useful to carve an archtop, by tweaking the saw depth and making dozens of parallel passes, but i can't hink of any other guitar body application.

once the meticulous carving of the template is done, the routing is easy. i've been making 7 string pickup templates, and now i have a nice 2x6 scrap that has a DiMarzio Blaze Neck direct mounted in it!

Harbor Freight Tools has a pretty trick adapter for a circular saw that turns it into a radial arm saw for about 50 bucks...

.....unless Harbor Freight has devised a way to get the rpm's of the radial arm saw up to 18000, it sounds like a waste of $50. Sears Craftsman radial arm saws have a device to turn your Radial into a planer......It was a total waste of time and money....not enough cutter head speed is generated.

As for the entire idea of using a Radial arm saw to cut neck pockets...It never crossed my mind.......It is just not that safe!(if you are trying to save time). I've got an 18in industrial Delta in my shop and it only gets used for cutting heavy stock that my 8in Hitachi compound can't handle.