Speaker cabinet 101

jammy

I've been looking into making myself a pair of closed back 1x12 speaker cabs for my stereo rack setup and I was wondering what you guys know about cabs? Ive been looking around and have found out that the volume of the cab makes a big difference to the performance. There are a few "calculators" online to work out optimum sizes, but they ask for a "Q" value....anyone?

-Have a look here to see what i mean-

Does anyone who has made a cab in the past fancy passing on any gems of knowladge? :D

Thanks alot people, ill look forward to replies... B)

right, the Q value depends on the type of speakers you are using, you must know the type of speakers you are to be using to make those calculators much good.

The only site that I know of that displays all of the rating on their speakers is here: http://www.jensenvintage.com/

Also you might want to check this place out: http://www.the-crossroads.org/

Also I have a more comprehensive programe that I can send you if you want, it only 830kb and I can zip it with winrar as well, so if you want it post your email and I will get on to it.

If any more questions need just say. Rob

Celestion 30's appear to be the speaker of choice... so does anyone have the specs of these? (detailed stuff)

As for that program if you could send it to jammyuk AT blueyonder.co.uk that would be great - thanks :D

Just sending now, I think you should be able to get any specs by emailing who ever you want. Rob

Guitar cabs since they are the source of the tone are often in their own little world in terms of acoustic design with little resemblance to even response.

And programs designed to make hi-fi cabs really don't tell you much about guitar cabs - your best bet is to find a cab that sounds good to you, measure the inside of it, and try to get close to the same interior volume (for sealed cabs, at any rate). Unless you're making a bass cab (and if that's the aim, use that software), you're only dealing with signals between 80 Hz (lowE) and about 5KHz (guitar speakers don't work much above 5K), so it's a lot more important to use good speakers and good construction technique than trying to "tune" the box. A 4x12 sealed cab based on a Marshall is usually a good sound - Mesa, Engl, Peavey, Bogner and Soldano all make theirs slightly differently, but they sound very similar (at least with Vintage 30s in 'em), and they're all about the same size. Use good joinery and good plywood, glue 'em up solid, make sure there aren't any loose parts to rattle, use good wire and a good connector, and chances are yours will sound good too. Oh, and avoid all Mojo magic like high-dollar oxygen-free cable, or 1943 N.O.S. SwitchCraft jacks - that stuff looks great in ad copy, but it doesn't make a bit of difference in the sound. :D

Good cabs are made out of baltic birch ply although I'm sure there's other material that could be used. All the joints should be dove tailed (if you're a bit of a perfectionist)

Have a look at 18watt.com they build cabs as well as amps. Our man Goat has byuilt a very very nice cab, but I've not seen him around these parts lately, he must be off playing with his new toys.