sustain

...and just turn your amp up to '11' :D:D

oh crap!...did I just help hijack this thread?! B) Kevan made me do it! :D

well worth it sir. needed to hear that again.

ok well i put 2 clamps onto my headstock to experiment if weight makes that big a difference....i put them in different places but the sustain didnt last longer. However i did press my headstock down onto my table and the weas a significant increase in clarity and sustain.

"Well, with this one....you can go and have a bite and AAAAHHHH...you'd still be hearin' that one."

I have played a richie sambora strat and i lost patience with how long the sustain was :D.

I might be selling my epi LP custom so i can buy parts and do a super transformation/upgrade on my pacifica.

..............oh btw...i kinda dented the back of my headstock when applying the clamps... B) i thought a thick layer of tissue would prevent that...... :D ......yup im a dumbass :D

I hate to say it but the best way to get your guitar to sustain more is go to work an hour early and stay an hour later for the next month, then sell the guitars you have and go out and play like 100 different ones till you find the perfect one for you. I just think that sticking some thing on your headstock or changing a bunch of thingys on a guitar that your not happy with in the first place defeats the whole purpose. Just my opinion.

:D

thanks for the input guys, ill be doing some adjustments to my lespaul, including changing pickups, bridge, tuners and nut.

Pedalboy, ill be purchasing a custom canvin in august when i get the money but i still want to keep my other guitars (i seem to have built a bond with them, especially my first guitar:D).

thanks guys, much appreciated :D

ok well i put 2 clamps onto my headstock to experiment if weight makes that big a difference....i put them in different places but the sustain didnt last longer. However i did press my headstock down onto my table and the weas a significant increase in clarity and sustain.

The "add mass to the headstock" idea has always struck me as pure BS. The claims of "touch your headstock to a door/wall/table and you'll hear a difference" is just a load of crap.

What you're hearing is not the mass of the coffee table enhancing your guitar's sustain. It's the guitar's vibration being transferred to the flat tabletop, which essentially acts as a soundboard (like the body of an acoustic guitar) which is causing more air to move, resulting in sound waves that are louder and appear to have more sustain because you can hear them better. End of story.

Some people say "add mass to enhance sustain" others say "reduce mass to enhance sustain". Both arguments are too simplistic. What it comes down to is resonance. If the vibrating string's fundamental frequencies are absorbed too quickly, the note dies out. But it's the selective absorption of frequencies that gives each guitar its unique voice. So the goal is to minimize vibrations that are not involved in producing notes. (e.g. TonePros bridges, which lock to the studs to improve the connection between the tune-o-matic style bridge and the body)

Making sure everything on the guitar is fastened securely and that there are no extraneous rattles or buzzes is a good first step.

There's no magic bullet. Anyone who tells you otherwise is selling you snake oil. Some guitars just don't "have it" because their wood is too dense, or too porous, or too oily, or too wet... whatever. If the wood doesn't resonate in ways that enhance or preserve the vibration of the string, there's nothing you can add to the guitar to make it sing naturally.

• 3 years later...

1 - check the difference in sustain with the bolt on without the guitars plugged in

2 - work on your vibrato, this is a great "sustain enhacing device" and it's FREE, I can get my guitars to sustain quite long unplugged - actually, if you have an acoustic, practice on THAT, if you can make that sustain, you can make any electric sustain

when plugged in first try an OD pedal, my BOSS SD-1 will make my strat sustain almost forever - and that's low volume, just some OD and a touch of vibrato, a LP design should do even better, as they are supposed to sustain longer just because of body mass.

if you're satisfied with your tone, I wouldn't start putting new PU's in - your tone WILL change - if you're not satisfied, change them for PU's that sound "better" to your ear, just don't expect magical improved sustain, IT WON'T HAPPEN

...over three years

Jaybee wins the award for biggest grave dig!

And whys that such a bad thing?

at least there are valid points, unlike some post bumping with just smilies or a three word comment.

this way when people search for "sustain" they get some useful information....and thats good considering

that people are always going psycho at newbs who don't search! :D