Installing Pickups in a Left handed Body

zeggs

Hi Everyone,

I am starting my very first guitar building project, and it doesn't really help that im left handed, as i have many questions surrounding this very thing.

I am building a left handed strat-like guitar with Texas special pickups. Last night i installed the pickups onto my lefty pickguard and realized something.

I noticed the pickup rods on the pickups. On a right handed guitar, the lowest rods in height would be under the high E and B strings. On a lefty guitar those same rods (which are suppose to be under the high E and B strings) are under my Low E and A strings.

is it possible that i can just rotate the pickups 180 degrees (still keeping them in the appropriate neck middle and bridge positions), so that my lowest pickup rods would be under the high E and B strings. I know the body itself is routed to let pickups sit in a certain way, but i think there is room to rotate them so that they face in the other direction.

Does this matter at all (should i worry about it), or would it greatly effect the sound?

I would greatly appreciate any kind of input, response, comment. Thanks for reading.

-Zeggs

Your pickup response is definitely going to be different in the left handed version if you leave your pickups like they are. The magnet height is adjusted so that the field is slightly different for each string, the B-string magnet is usually lower than the rest. I have some Hofner pickups that have a bar which is curved, lower at bottom E and higher at top E with a notch cut under the B to flatten the response. Stringing the guitar for a lefty would definitely mess things up.

Can you not perhaps swop the pickups for left handed versions? Who is the manufacturer?

Keith

some interesting routing may accomodate for that, though. heck, just a small drill bit would if you wanna go ghetto with it. that's a huge pickgaurd to cover stuff up with, after all...

is it possible that i can just rotate the pickups 180 degrees (still keeping them in the appropriate neck middle and bridge positions), so that my lowest pickup rods would be under the high E and B strings. I know the body itself is routed to let pickups sit in a certain way, but i think there is room to rotate them so that they face in the other direction.

If you can physically rotate all three of them, it should be OK.

• 18 years later...

Quite a necro bump...

Anyhow, if the pole pieces are staggered to suit different string thicknesses, installing right handed pickups upside down will have some effect - will it be audible is another question. Unstaggered or adjustable pole pieces are usually symmetrical and every pole piece is identical to the others. There's very few pickups with different type of magnets for half of the strings.

Speaking about floating pickups, right handed ones can be a bit tricky to install on a lefty. Attaching is not a biggie but hiding the wires can be tricky as the wires come out at the treble end. Adjustable high end floating pickups do exist, Rautia is one I know but he has retired. Using righty humbuckers on a lefty guitar can put the adjustable pieces on the "wrong" side but again, that's most likely just cosmetic, not audible.