Why mahogany not limba?

Hey, Marcel we are with you on the Korina. No attacs!!

Your comments are very valuable to us. Learning from other people's experiences, preferences. Can't wait to see how mine turns out.

I will have laminated Wenge in Maple neck......but from what I learned Wenge has similar tonal signature as the maple.

But I had another idea. I never thought about the neck. Maybe it is the culprit? I built it from curly soft maple with bubinga stripes. Soft maple is supposed to give a warmer tone if used for necks. Maybe I'll build another neck to check that out....

I have read some stories about this curly maple being awesome to look at, but troublesome in neck performance. They were talking about stability instead of tone.......but bassy tone could very well be result of neck. Building another all maple 7 string neck wouldn't hurt either. If it has no significant effect on tone, you can always build that 7 string Alder body to go with it. ;-)

Gosh, would I love to have your guitar in my hands for a little jam.....just to know what mine will sound like. Or better......I must hurry up and finish mine. ;-)

Edited by RGGR

I have read some stories about this curly maple being awesome to look at, but troublesome in neck performance. They were talking about stability instead of tone.......

Yes....thats the reason for the two Bubinga laminates. The neck is stiffer than a standard Fender Strat neck. And was very stable so far and did not move at all. So I think either it isn't as bad as people tell or the Bubinga stripes are strong enough to prevent these problems....

Building another all maple 7 string neck wouldn't hurt either.

I already had that idea too....but I like the tone of the guitar more and more....dunno if I want to change it....it's git character and that is always a good thing....but maybe I'll just do it for the experiment....

Gosh, would I love to have your guitar in my hands for a little jam.....

LOL....I would have a hard time letting somone else play on that guitar.... :D

So I think either it isn't as bad as people tell or the Bubinga stripes are strong enough to prevent these problems....

I think you made good decision to put the Bubinga stripes in.

I would have a hard time letting somone else play on that guitar....

LOL!!!!......They can take his girlie, his house, his bike, car, boat, plane.....as long as they stay away from his guitar(s). ;-) Hahahahaha......

I read all this stuff about spalted maple, and other exotics.....what project are you working on now??? Cause it sounds mighty interesting.

Edited by RGGR

Comparing apples with apples, there seems to be difference in weight of LP guitars, and only can be explained by the difference in density (read: weight) of the actual mahogany wood blank. I suspect more dense, heavier wood will give darker tone.

It could be that your Korina was of the more denser, heavier type, resulting in a warmer tone.

This is wrong.

the more dense the wood the brighter the guitar will sound.

The less dense the more the lows come out...

It could be that your Korina was of the more denser, heavier type, resulting in a warmer tone.

This is wrong.

Oh, my.......I should have said; your Korina being of the lighter less dense type, resulting in warmer tone.

I stand corrected.

But this very well explains Marcels comments of having his guitar sound warmer then expected. He might have used a lighter Korina in combination with the more soft Maple of the neck.....resulting in overall more warm tone. The thin 5mm Maple on body was probably not able to bring out the highs enough.

Edited by RGGR

So your theory is quite pulled out of air in my opinion....

:D I guess you noticed my bias against Dimarzio pickups and Ibanez guitars. It's funny how your tastes can change as you get older. When I was 15, I thought Ibanez guitars were the coolest. Now, I prefer Strats and Les Paul JRs.

Is the maple top a quilted maple or flame maple top? If it is a quilt, doesn't that mean that it is soft maple? I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) most if not all quilted maple comes from Western Big Leaf Maple - which is a soft maple. I don't know if the quilted figuring shows in hard maple - it's always been my understanding that hard maple will show flame or birdseye but not quilt.

I'm still a bit confused concerning soft vs. hard maple though. I have read that soft maple doesn't sound as bright as hard maple but then again I have also read that the two sound the same.

Can someone explain the differences?

From my undestanding, big leaf western maple is soft maple, where the quilted maple comes from. Eastern hard rock maple is where flamed and birdseye comes from, there for curly and flamed is ok to use for necks because it is rock maple.

My assumption about sound is that the rock maple would produce more highs, mainly beaecuse it is harder and more dense and also heavier then its conterpart the quilted soft maple. Every time i go searching for flamed maple at my local store there is some quilted maple in the pile, its always softer feeling and significantly lighter then the flamed, i guess the only thing to do is have someone make two LPs outta the same mahogany and have one with a curly maple top and one with a quilted top and then decide

MzI

I guess you noticed my bias against Dimarzio pickups and Ibanez guitars. It's funny how your tastes can change as you get older. When I was 15, I thought Ibanez guitars were the coolest. Now, I prefer Strats and Les Paul JRs.

Which should not lead you to wrong conclusions or fanatism. My main guitar is a Fender Strat. Do I have to assume and spread negative things about Ibanez or DiMarzio because of that????

Is the maple top a quilted maple or flame maple top? If it is a quilt, doesn't that mean that it is soft maple?

The guitar has a quilted maple top. It definately is soft maple. I am not sure about quilt, but I know that hard maple is much less likely to develop flame figure than soft maple. A big wood supplier who provides Peavey and many other companies with their neck wood told me so. I guess the same holds true for quilt too.

Anyway.....the quilted soft maple top I used for the guitar in question was still way harder than the Korina. I guess it must be the neck.

I guess it must be the neck.

I think so too. The neck wood in combo with lighter and less dense Korina, with less dense maple top. But mainly the neck.

I just noticed having almost cut my JS body to shape, that the body is still sh*t heavy.

Must have stumbled on some dense and heavy Korina, I guess.

What do you guys normally pay for Alder body blank??? Saw nice one piece European Alder blank for $20-$25 dollar at my local wood store. Is that a good price. I see alternatives online for $50-$60 (although American Alder)

GuitarMaestro, what is your problem? How have I spread negative things? I only voiced an opinion, and there was no fanaticism (I'm assuming this is the term you meant to use?) involved.

I admitted my bias, and never did anything more than comment and frankly, your tone towards me has been fairly negative and I'd like an apology.

Edited by javacody

• 2 weeks later...

hmm as far as pickups....

i was hugely into gain...thinking it helped tone, when actually, it takes away, doesnt let it resonate properly....burstbuckers sound really good to me...with an all tube set up...outstanding...korina...there are many body woods available, basswood, mahogany, and alder seem to be the favorites..i personally go for more exotic stuff, such as black walnut and purpleheart, part of your tone is how you "feel" when you play, Andre Segovia r.i.p. was a tonal master, and explains in great detail in a book, that alot of your tone comes from your fingers...point being, there are many MANY contributions to tone, and to simply talk of wood or pickups alone....well, its pointless. :D

I'm curious to hear people's impressions on Korina as a tone wood, especially on a 7-string. I'm in the planning stages of a 7-string and can't settle on the wood. I really want something lighter than mahogany, but still with a really dense tone and great sustain. Walnut is tempting, but it's pretty heavy. So i'm thinking about Korina.

Oh, and by the way, i seem to recall reading that the ToneZone is based on the custom OEM pickups DiMarzio developed with Ernie Ball for EVH's original signature guitar with them. When EVH left Ernie Ball, DiMarzio released the Tone Zone to the public. So it *is* voiced for basswood with a maple top.