recessed strap locks

hey guys

I have a dillion 500x DR500XI-ds.jpg

and use dunlop strap locks. I hate how far forward on the strap lock the strap sits, so i was thinking of counter-sinking the reciever for the strap lock with a bit just big enough for the reciever to fit in the hole and just have it sticking out enough for me to attach a strap. good idea? bad idea? will this weaken the upper horn at all? Thanks

-Vadim

I have a set of dual design ones on there now, and was thinking of just sinking it down to before the reciever swells. But that was before i knew there were purpose-made recessed ones.

-Vadim

• 4 weeks later...

After thinking about it, I've always been annoyed by how far the strap pins stick out too. I love the StrapLoc's and have used them on every instrument that I own. Since I only use the StrapLoc's the dual design is pointless for me.

To me a better design would be a bushing tapped into the body that would only be for the StrapLoc. Since Floyd's and TOM tail pieces use this for their screws, it seems a no brainer to use the same technique on strap pins. Only rather than accepting screws, it would accept the StrapLoc "thingy" that's on the guitar strap.

Surely someone has already done this. :D If not, I just gave away my million dollar idea and you'll see it on the shelf next month. B)

anybody know where i can find flat mount strap locks like on this page? btw, i have a the regular ones.custom basses

-Vadim

And had I only clicked this link, I would have seen that it HAS already been done! YAY!

Now I just need to get a bunch of the counter sink parts and NOT the button that go's on the strap. Can I just get that part?

A new quest begins... Time to google.

And the answer is... call Dunlop!

Here's a snippet from their email.

------------------------------------------

Please note that you may order the buttons seperately by contacting our Sales Department at 800-722-3434.

------------------------------------------

Hope that helps.