Carving SUCKS!

B)B) Carved Tops...Blah...who needs 'em? B)B)

I've spent quite a few hours this weekend carving the tops of 2 guitars, I'm tired of this crap, give me my pancake-flat Tele and let me ROCK! :D

Man, I can understand carving an archtop and all that, but to just have a domed top on your solidbody guitar when you have to carve it yourself is NUTS!

Well, I'm kinda just kiddin( B) ), but not totally( :D ).

This is a lotta damned work for what you get in return, hell, I LOVE Tele's :D ...

Back to the dungeon now, time to feed Carrie.

Of course I'll have pics tonight of the weekends' progress, but I'm damned tired of shaving wood now!

PS, Big Ups to Kevan, I've been listening to JemRadio a lot today while wearing my freakin' fingers out. :D

Well, try some patience or a palm sander. The wood will go easier, but not faster.

Also, visualize your results.

Stuff the palm sander. too slow.

Rout a ledge around the top at the depth you plan to carve to. Get out your grinder with an 80 grit disc on it, with a semi flexible rubber backing plate, and go for it. As you are nearly finished, switch to 240 grit, and then after a few minutes, go to an orbital sander (round base).

Once the shaping is all beautiful, switch to hand sanding, and go with the grain. Use 240 grit.

Should only take 45 minutes to do the whole thing (3/4" carve).

Well, try some patience or a palm sander. The wood will go easier, but not faster.

Also, visualize your results.

Stuff the palm sander. too slow.

Rout a ledge around the top at the depth you plan to carve to. Get out your grinder with an 80 grit disc on it, with a semi flexible rubber backing plate, and go for it. As you are nearly finished, switch to 240 grit, and then after a few minutes, go to an orbital sander (round base).

Once the shaping is all beautiful, switch to hand sanding, and go with the grain. Use 240 grit.

that's the way i did mine

just to make it clear

TUTORIAL ON CARVING!!!

did ya see it that time? :D

I know how the man feels.You only feel bitter uintl the blisters heal. B)

But you gotta vent,knowing that no matter how much we gripe and moan-we're just gonna wind up doing it again anyway.Talk about your classic love/hate definition :D

I've posted a photo essay here a few times, it's hosted on the guitar.com discussion board. I'll try to find the link again. I'm in discussion with a friend about building his brother a LP-ish guitar (my first commision), so I'll try to document the carving this time.

**Edit**

Here's the post:- Top carving

call me stupid, but i still cant find that tutorial.... can anyone point me in the right direction?

help a dumb guy.....

If you cant see the tutorial, when it has been posted TWICE now, you dont have the ability to carve a top. Sorry. However, given the off topic replies that are generally given by some members, i guess i dont blame you for skimming over the posts.

For those that are having difficulty, may i suggest you USE THE SEARCH BUTTON. This topic has been discussed numerous times before.

I think what the dillhole is trying to say is that his reply is basically a tutorial. I'm sure what John thought was the same as I thought: you posted a tutorial in the tutorial section. Seems like a logical understanding of the sentence

How about someone posting a tutorial on carving tops.
I just did.

:D

while we are all taling about carving, would the routing be the best option for a PRS custom 24 top because ive been looking a a load and the bottom of the body (bridge pick ups and under) have a really slight curve. i was thinking of marking out on the veneer how low i would need to go and the sand it down of somthing, and route the horns.

Would this be the best way to go?