22 or 24 fret question?

If it's copied of an original Jackson body, then it is to the best of my knowledge a 22 fret neck that is supposed to go with it, because all the RRs I've seen are 22 fret, but I might be wrong, so don't do anything expensive based on my "knowledge" only.

You could measure and calculate stuff, but if you are "the type of person who'd do that", I figure you'd allready be doing it, and it's (IMO) pretty difficult to explain, so I wont try, sorry.

The Randy Rhoads style is (too my knowledge) a 25 1/2" scale instrument. If the bridge is on the body, Measure 25 1/2" from the center position of the saddle's intonation range towards the imaginary headstock. Mark this spot on a table under the body, or a piece of paper behind the body. If you have another 25 1/2" scale guitar, like a strat. line the nut of that neck up to the line you marked. If the 22nd fret of the neck lines up with the neck pocket....you have a 22 fretter. If there is adequate space for 2 frets, then it is a 24.

Of course you could put a 24 fret on a 22, but you will be cutting into the neck pickup's space, thereby eliminating it's ability to exist.

ok.... I fought my laziness. I got up and measure one of my Ibanez necks (25 1/2")

from the edge of the nut closets to the bridge to the 22nd fret it is a little less than

18 1/2 ". From the same spot to the 24th fret is about 19 1/4".

Hope that helps

I just did a search on google for "Randy Rhoads scale length" and came up with serveal 25 1/2" replies

Thanks a lot :D

That's very interesting as I read a few days ago on a different forum that 22 and 24 fret necks couldn't interchange, I can't remember the very theory behind it but this guy reckoned that the guitar would never intonate properly. This was the reason behind my question.

So as long as there's room for the neck pickup this IS possible then?

Thanks for clearing that up :D I was thinking about buying the Jackson style neck that Allparts make, I'm just hoping this body has a standard Fender neck pocket.

I only won the auction yesterday so I haven't received it yet but here are the ebay pics.....I think there's a nice guitar under there somewhere, what do you guys think?

a3_3.JPG

9c_3.JPG

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Looks like an import kramer RR copy. Could be wrong. Also looks like a 24 fret extended fretboard is what it needs. But then its 2 am, too, so dont quote me.

And after maesuring stuff, if it is about 6" from the saddles to the pocket, its a 24 fret. If it is about 7" then its a 22. Measurements from a Checter C1+FR and a tele.

And of course they are different scales. So just get a 24 fret overhung fretboard such as Warmoth, Allparts, ect. If 25.5 isnt right, send it back. If you have a strat neck handy....test it and see.

BTW what bridge is that?

Yeah the bridge is a bit different, it's a Schaller Quadmatic, when I first saw it I thought it was a Floyd Rose until I saw the back of the guitar and I thought 'wher the hell are the trem springs?' :D

I haven't ordered a neck yet, I'm good friends with the guy in my local guitar shop so I'll take it in to him and see if he's got a few necks kicking round to make sure I get one that fits.

Here's a few more pics.......

b2_3.JPG

c5_3.JPG