Help with truss

i was adjusting my truss rod the other day when all of a sudden it lost tention, it went completely limp. my allen wrench was stuck in there too so when i pulled it out the truss rod came came out with it! i pushed it back in but it still doesnt have any tention at all. can i fix this my self?

and there's still string on the guitar? that's odd, when you slide it back in are you able to turn the rod at all to "create" any tension on the rod when countering any bows in the neck like it's supposed to ?

if the neck is off the guitar, then this is normal, some necks are designed to have the truss rod slide in and out of the heel of the neck,

yes there are still strings on it, its working fine, it doesnt even have a buzz or anything but i cant creat any tention at all its pretty loose as if its not connected to anything on the bottom, but the thing is that it USED to have tention. i recently bought this guitar and this was teh first time i was messing with the rod. it had tention in the begingin but then it went limp.

The entire truss rod came out or just the nut at the end (where you put the allen wrench?)

the nut+the rod, about an inch

its pretty loose as if its not connected to anything on the bottom

It sounds like the truss rod came out of it's anchor. Hmm... you might have to go as far as removing the fretboard to repair... but wait a couple of days for others to respond. They might have easier solutions :D.

Edit: This site is linked from the PG mother site:

http://www.guitarrepairshop.com/repairtrussrod.html

From that article I posted above, the Fender had the anchor at the nut end so he didn't need to remove too many frets. I'm not familiar with the ESP EX-250 but from your description I gonna guess the anchor is at the butt end of the neck. You probably have to remove at least one fret and steam off a bit of the fingerboard (maybe 20th fret up?)

Aw, come on! Where's that adventurous spirit? B)

I think this is entirely doable. I had a similar experience when I was 16... but just the nut came off in my case (that's why I asked my original question.) I pulled off the first fret, used a utility knife to carefully cut down through the fretboard in the fret slot, down to the neck (the guy in the article used a dremel tool for this task.) I didn't know about steaming back then so I just chiseled that section off :D. I then made the repair and glued the fretboard section back on. I even lucked out being able to reuse the fret! :D

If I were to do this now with what I've learned here, I'd be sure to use masking tape (which I didn't back then) to protect what surfaces I could and use steam:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/prremoval.htm

If you haven't already, peruse the main PG site's other tutorials. You might find other info that might be salient to this project.

As for cost for a "pro" to do... hmm, it might be pretty expensive compared to the value of the guitar. If you love this guitar and it has great sentimental value, then go for it! But from my searching around for "ESP EX-250" they seem to be discontinued and have been sold in clearance for $160.99. For the price of a pro repair, you can probably buy a whole new neck. You might want to do this to get the guitar up and playable, then try the above repair yourself on the ESP neck at your leisure (you can re-use the new neck for a later project.) I don't know... just some thoughts :D.

You know, last thought, if the guitar is still playable as is, you might want to just leave it alone! :D

ok according to the pics in that link there's nothing at the bottom of the rod inside the neck, so where is this anchor thing that ppl talk about? also the guitar plays fine now but how long would it take for me to find out wheather or not my rod actually needs a repair?

a neck can take a couple of days to fully settle after adjusting the truss rod.. you're pretty lucky if your truss falls out and your guitar still plays the same...