Deft gloss lacquer?

I'm refinishing my first guitar, and am trying to find a good clear lacquer to use. I'm going to do it in nitro and wondering if anyone has used Deft brand from hardware stores. A friend has a gallon of it in gloss that i could use for free. Don't want to use it if it's junk though! Any insight is appreciated!

Don't know if this is helpful...

I have used the Deft Gloss Clear, in both the rattle can and through a Preval sprayer, and it is good and inexpensive. I should say that I like Reranch.com's stuff slightly better, but not enough to want to shell out the extra $$$ required.

The only drawback I could see is that it yellows perceptibly over time, but all nitrocellulose lacquer does.

I use Deft (exclusively) for necks, regardless of how I have finished the rest of the guitar. Some Deft, some dye, some fine steel wool and you have a nicely finished neck.

Just my $0.02...

Chris D.

I only used it once on a body...

I shot it over Reranch nitro LPB about four years ago. It yellowed very slightly after 2 years time. It looks okay on this instrument ('59 strat copy) because this same thing has happened on vintage Fender instruments.

I prefer acrylic lacquer now (no yellowing, less chance of checking, etc.), but your mileage may vary.

Regards,

Chris D.

I used it one time and brushed it on (huge pain!). It went well except for the hairs of the brush kept getting ripped out and I'd have to try to flick them out of the wet, thick finish. :D After a coat I'd have to clean the brush out which took almost as long as it did to do a coat. In the end it looks good, or at least it would if I had discovered the necessity of sealing/filling the pores of mahoghany. 11 coats and dimples still not gone... Ah well, this time I'll get 'er right. :D

B)