I also just bought a new amp

talking about preamp tubes(even if a little off topic) How much do they effet the sound in hybrid amps? cos they arnt all tube pre amps, they are part solid state right?

well it depends on a few things most of the ones i seen are starved tubes ie they operate on around 50v or so or less.

and although it will help your sound i dont' like them until you get around 180v on the tube

marshall however did have the artist series that had ss dist and power amdp tube section whcih rocked my little world

peavey had something similar but they didnt' mean for them to disotrt

talking about preamp tubes(even if a little off topic) How much do they effet the sound in hybrid amps? cos they arnt all tube pre amps, they are part solid state right?

the preamp is tube in the mode 4...the power amp is ss

as far as i can tell it makes a big difference...it sounds just like a jcm 800 to me except with more gain and a better scooping ability...and it also has the big bottom end on the otherside similar to the mesa rectifier

but i guess what i am trying to say is don't write off marshall versatility until you try this amp...anything you want,you got,pretty much.

I'm sure it's a great amp - I guess I'm just Old School, but for me Marshalls have never sounded better than the pre-Master Volume 50 watters at 12dB beyond the threshold of pain! :D That's a Marshall!! And you can't do that with preamp distortion, unfortunately - but I'm more "Roots-Metal/NWOBHM" than modern. :D

...peavey makes my skin crawl.i doubt i will ever get over that line of amps they put out all through the 80s...i STILL see those damn things everywhere and they are completely toneless!

i know they are putting out better stuff now...but i am hardheaded :D

Naw, most of their stuff is still crap! They still make the worst speaker cabs in the world, and don't even get me started on their PA/DJ stuff, but the 5150 and the XXX heads are both good value for the money. They're not as quiet and well-behaved as Soldanos or Bogners, but there are good sounds to be had, so long as you use somebody else's cabs. Personally, I love the Engl Screamer - it will actually clean up fairly well, but it still "goes to 11!" And when you crank it all the way up, that power amp just sings. I just can't find anywhere to turn it up! B)