question about the neck joint tutorial

i was just looking at the tutorial on converting a rg neck joint profile to the jem profile, my question is how much does the thickness of that part of the wood affect the joint? to me it seems like the more wood you have there the strong it is going to be, but at what point when you start to make it thinner is it not strong enough any more? i am thinking about doin a similar profiling to my esp explorer because the heel is just too damn big and is uncomfortable to play

MzI

right now the front edge of the heel is 5/8" im sure i could take a lil off and be ok im just affraid that if i sand off too much there will be too much pressure from the strings and make the guitar not playable ill be sure to take a ride to my local shop and check out some of the heels on the guitars they have there, i do have a picture of a bolt on dinky or soloisnt mayb but it looks as if there might be atleast 1/8" taken off from the level of the back of the guitar ill see what i can find tho thanx for the info

MzI