DISASTER!!!!!

Yesterday, I came into the room where I have my bodies hanging to dry.....whoah that sounds pretty criminal. Anyway, I guess one of the coat hangers gave way. :D

I found my Les Paul copy on the floor with two dents. I was so pissed. I was doing everything right. My clear coat was looking killer.

I ended up saning the spot down (Re shaping the wood to fit within the profile of the curves. This still left some dent, so I am trying to fill it with clear coat to bringe the profile back in these spots. I think I'll be allright....always looks worse when you first see it.

I just wanted to mention that it's a good idea to use really really really really really strong coat hangers.

God hates me.

Yesterday, I came into the room where I have my bodies hanging to dry.....whoah that sounds pretty criminal. Anyway, I guess one of the coat hangers gave way. :D

I found my Les Paul copy on the floor with two dents. I was so pissed. I was doing everything right. My clear coat was looking killer.

I ended up saning the spot down (Re shaping the wood to fit within the profile of the curves. This still left some dent, so I am trying to fill it with clear coat to bringe the profile back in these spots. I think I'll be allright....always looks worse when you first see it.

I just wanted to mention that it's a good idea to use really really really really really strong coat hangers.

God hates me.

Ah that's not so bad. I ended up with some dings in mine by taking it off the coat hanger, the end of it came around and put a big scratch and ding on it.. lol So, I thought I was gonna be smart and wait a while and sand it down some with an palm sander. Big mistake!!! The paint heated up and made a real bad glob of a mess. lol But guess what I learned, never use a electic sander on a paint job.. lol.. I time consuming lesson nontheless, but things just sometimes don't work out like you had invisioned them. So, we all are gonna make mistakes, just laugh and go on.

What I ended up doing was spraying some of the clear coat lacquer into a small eye drop type of container. Then all I had to do was put a drop or so into the ding and build it up higher then sand it all down till it levels out with the rest of the finish.

Been there. :D

I've had one or two drop off the hanger over the years as I was picking them up to move them right after shooting, and I shoot under a tree, I hang mine from a big Maple tree branch.

Branch and mulch imprints from the ground...yech! B)

I'm feeling much better about it now. I am basically building it up as you mentioned. I masked off the area surrounding, sprayed a coat of color, then began building up the clear. Luckily I had enough clear coats on already, so I will be able to sand it down without worrying too much about getting into mu stenciled designs. Also, I'm lucky it didn't hit the stenciled area.

I'll watch out with my hangers from now on.

All handsanding for me, except when I'm roughing in at the beginning. I have a Dewalt DA (dual action) sander that spins and vibrates. The end result is little curly-cues left behind in the wood. Sometimes they are hard to see when not looked at the right angle. So I have to be careful to not leave any behind.

I've never dropped a guitar yet. I use coat hanger material too but I make sure the "hooks" are long.