cutoff switch

StratDudeDan

k, i'm building an inline kill switch out of a light switch, but i'm assuming there's going to be massive problems with a hum when i turn it off. how can this be corrected or completely bypassed.

secondly, is there an impedance issue at all? or should i just pretend i never asked that?

finally, should i put the break in the hot line, or in the ground, or should i not use a simple SPST switch and figure out something cool with a little more complex of a design?

you mean a standard wall-mount flippy lightswitch? seems to me that'd be a huge pain to mount in a guitar, requiring a large routed cavity. the pole screws are also designed to accept much larger wire gauges than guitar wire. theoretically it should function just fine.

i like to wire kill switches as a break in a new ground wire connected to the hot. you might get some hum just by breaking the hot output with the kill switch, but you'll get none if you wire the kill switch to ground out the hot.

no, i'm talking stomp box style. i'm not even gonna think about putting a freaking wall switch in a guitar, no matter how cool that would be...

yeah we did an article on this some time ago. but basically u can just add the hot to ground, but more than likely half of the poelpe here will jump up and down saying how it won't work or it will be noisy yada yada yada or set it up to hit a resistor going to ground like a 1M

k, i'm building an inline kill switch out of a light switch, but i'm assuming there's going to be massive problems with a hum when i turn it off. how can this be corrected or completely bypassed?

No, it shouldn't be a problem if you wire it right. Heck, you could use one of those Dr Frankenstein switches if you want.

secondly, is there an impedance issue at all? or should i just pretend i never asked that? 

Hey, I won't mention it if you don't. :D

finally, should i put the break in the hot line, or in the ground, or should i not use a simple SPST switch and figure out something cool with a little more complex of a design? 

No break - just wire the switch to short the hot lead to ground, like Jammy said. Quiet, simple and elegant.

i like the idea of one of those frankestein switches a lot...

i just wouldn't be able to do it with my foot...