set neck

i just bought a vintage gibson explorer that had a set neck (glued on) and it came clean off. lucky me, the owner thought it was worthless and sold it to me for 150$. my question is, is there some special kind of glue used, or can i just bolt it on? need feedback here so i know what to do. thanks

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More than likely the glue didnt break it was mistreated. Leaving guitars in your trunk etc... will soften the glue. I think most woodglues melt at the 120 degree point or so.(could be wrong on the temp) I remember reading a frets article on how someone disloved a vintage martin by leaving it in his trunk that they had to reassemble. I live in a place where the temperature is regularly 115 in the summer, a car in a parking lot can reach way above that.

It sounds like you could clean both sides of the joint and reglue it. Titebond is the usual choice available just about anywhere that sells wood working or craft supplies.

As always pics would help. If it truly is vintage even waiting to borrow a camera and posting pics would be well worth it.

also, even if its not a gibson, its still a vintage explorer for 150$, including shippin. ill take it :D

the seller owns a pawn shop, and doesnt know anything about guitar repair. the previous owner was a very serious player and may have put the trem bridge in himself. who knows, i like trem bridges better anyways

would there be any downsides to bolting it on? if ythe guy ships it today, it -might- be in by friday. im playing in a show friday and would like to use it then, but glue would take to long to dry

yes there is a downside.set necks have a thinner back to the neck pocket.it would not be stable,you need to glue it

would there be any downsides to bolting it on? if ythe guy ships it today, it -might- be in by friday. im playing in a show friday and would like to use it then, but glue would take to long to dry

yes there is a downside.set necks have a thinner back to the neck pocket.it would not be stable,you need to glue it

what are you talking about? set necks are much deeper than bolt ons, and notched too. stability wouldnt be the issue, i meant in terms of sustain, or general sound quality.

maybe i glue AND bolt