set neck

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the best of my knowledge Strat came from the facination with space at the time of conception...basically plucked from a newspaper

Tune-O-Matic is likely just held over from a period when the Dice-O-Matic 5000 was a must have kitchen tool

But yeah...in the end they're just brand names

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

I am with wes on the titebond. I hate gorrilla glue, especially for repairs. It isnt stronger, foams like hell, and doesnt pennetrate deeply. I prefer titbond cuz it dies faster, pennetrates deep, and isnt messy if you keep a dampcloth handy.

I have absolutely no research behind this-- only educated guessing and conjecture, but I would imagine that there were 2 reasons for "Tune-O-Matic". First, as mentioned, it was probably a trendy 'style' of name for the time it came out; and second, most guitar bridges back then probably didn't have fully intonatable saddles and semi-adjustable bridge height.

Regarding the Explorer-- plywood or not... Gibson or not... Explorers are cool. :D

most guitar bridges back then probably didn't have fully intonatable saddles and semi-adjustable bridge height.

Errr...from the earliest I've seen solid-bodies have always had adjustable bridges...at least for intonation and I'd imagine most had a way to adjust the action...otherwise they'd be rather unpleasant and almost unplayable...there's exceptions of course...The only real way would to be sure is to bug gibson to find out...I don't really care enough...

I have a friend with a vintage ford tempo....relic job and all...some things will never be properly called vintage or classic...sure someone might love them....

This would definantely be a fun guitar to start toying and experimenting with though...I would feel just as happy about doing a good job without having to feel bad if I pooch it completely....

Ive been dying to ask: do you look like monkey magic in real life, or is it just the avatar B)

... well, monkey magic after a visit to the salon :D

ps: good luck with the guitar, i will agree, explorers are awesome :D

I love explorers too. The last one I bought was a late 70's hondo Revival 2 on ebay for $80. The guitar had a mangled headstock break, no bridge, and it was completely disassemabled but it is a set neck, and solid swamp ash body which is factory stained to look like white limba. I get this guitar home, take apart the headstock, clean the parts, re-glue it with tite bond 2, re-lacquer the face black and I found a cool, full contact MIJ tremolo on ebay for $25 bucks, dropped that in, solid brass so it has killer sustain and this thing sounds incredible. It has the orignal grover tuners and either really good dimarzio copies or the real thing. All I needed was a new input jack, 3-way and some wire, for about $115 I have a killer guitar.

aye, thanks all

first off: whats monkey magic?

second: this ones in good shape, got the the neck gluing. the finish is kinda sad, i think im gonna take the trem bridge out and put in a tune-o, make a few other changes, and refinish it like James Hetfield's, the one thats dark brown stain on the front of the body and black on the headstock/neck and back of the body. also will need a new nut soon.

pics soon :D