NECK THRU PROJECT!!

Hello I am new here first message I ever wrote. I just traded my old pa speakers for a carvin neck thru bass, two questions!

1. Its a ugly pink color and it looks girlish so I would like to redo it. It has a pcikguard that was on it, which i thik is gay i dont play with a pick and i personally think pickguards are the dumbest thing ever, no offense to those that like the plastic on there guitar, but, if i did it down to the wood and restained or whatever,

how to fill in the holes can it be done, it has four other holes in the body, a splitter and three toggle switches. also how to sand the neck down, what to do to protect the fretboard, should i just paint it? It would be eaiser eh? Totally new to this, My bro painted his profile guitar when we were kids with his pitsburgh house paint that still contained lead and it didnt turn out well. I need help any suggestions, one guy said hey i know wood and i can like varathane it for ya, i seen one guitar he did and it had plugs where there used to be knobs and stuff, it looked like crap.

My bass has stereo jacks two of them, whats that for? Thats about it for now, post a reply or email it, thanks

:D

B)

Well, you could always make a wooden pickguard. That would solve the issue of the hole and wood is much classier than plastic.

You could always sand the finish off and refinish with tung oil. If you do this, you could even get matching wood for the pickguard.

If you know what kind of wood it is you can make same wood plugs to fill the screwholes.You'll just need to pay attention to grain direction to keep them as discreet as you can,(another trick with that is to carefully sand the plug while the glue still has some tack-that way you use the sawdust as a natural filler.Just don't go nuts with the sanding or you can create a groove.)

Have you decided what colour you're going to paint it? Or are you going to send it out?

i have no idea on what color, I dont even know if I should do it man, like you guys ever sand down a neck, not the fretboard but the back of it, how to do that, I seen in the tutorials in project guitar site on how to do the body but the back of the neck i dont know, how to protect the fretboard, it has a clear-coating the whole thing, do you think project gongshow should live? Anyone think the bass is worth any money? Maybe sell it for crack and be better off? Its not sctrched up that bad just the back has some belt scratches from some idoit!! But hey thats the purpose of being on this chat and getting help from you pros on projects eh? Like maybe I can do it and stuff and post pictures of the project as it goes and finished, Thanks very much for the help guys!! I never seen such of a response b4 in a discussion board b4!! You guys are all DA ****!! :D:DB)

Go to http://www.carvinguitars.com and do a little looksee to find your piece.Carvins are good insturments,(Imo),and probably worth the work.

I took a quick peek but didn't see what kind of clear they use,(someone here should know),but you could always e-mail them.

You could give the neck a few passes with laquer thinner.That may start to remove the finish or soften it up enough to scrape it off,(just don' get too aggressive),worst case:you gave it a good cleaning :D .Just do it in a well ventilated area with gloves,mask and eye gear.

If the body isn't too deeply dented you may be able to scuff the finish and spray overtop.

Myself I usually lay down a coat of waterbase then prime,(for solid colours),first.Water base will accept and be accepted by anything.Just do a test in a small area first-best to be safe then sorry.

I stripped all the parts off the bass today, I used masking tape on the finger board and headstock where the logo is I want to keep that original, The tape dont stick very well to the finger board and sides of the fret board, So you would say use laquer thinner, I will try that, I think I will leave it natural finish if the wood looks good underneath(depends on the grain) I apologise for me making so many posts and being so stupid. But this is projectgongshow here. It had active and passive controls, and a phase switch, is this all good stuff, its cut out for two jazz pickups anyone recommend any perticular setup for the deadliest sound around!! I am a sound freak and have to sound good when i play for the plants in the house.

:D