Neck Width (Bass/Electric)

Hey

I've read some tutorials on both electric and bass construction (only one decent one on bass's though, and there wasnt really any detail. :helpAnyone who knows of any, the info would be GREATLY apreciated:help). Anyway, the main point.

Do the width of necks and fingerboards on 4 string bass's, 5 string bass's and 6 string electrics vary? I know allot is up to personal preference, but is it possible, for example, to build a 4 or 5 string bass using a template for a 6 string guitar.

Thanks

Skillgannon

You can use a picture of a guitar to get all your mesurements if you know what scale it is full size. For example a PRS scale is 25 inches so if you get a pic of a PRS and measure the length from the nut to bridge and then divide 25 by that number then every measurement on the picture will be that many times bigger. Obviously you would want to get a pic of a bass not electric.

Also remember that bass necks are alot longer than electric necks

Jon

You HAVE to design the fingerboard width according to your scale length, nut width and bridge width. If you do NOT go that way the edgesof the fingerboard will not run inparallel to the strings. Usually you draw decide where the outer strings will run and add 1-3 mm on each side just as you like it. A great tool for that purpose can be found on buildyourguitar.

HTH,

Marcel Knapp!

Hey

A few questions:

Does it matter how many frets your using for that fretboard calculator (from what I gather it seemed to be for only 23 fret guitars)?

How do you find out the scale of a brand of guitar eg. Just google it, or is there a specific reference for looking up the scale of Alembic's, or Ibanez's or whatever?

Also does anyone have any tutorials related to 4-5 string bass's....I'd ask more probabally but I'm tired so im going to pack it in.

Later

Skillgannon