Wiring and sheilding

Asomodai

Ok guys, ive just recently installed a Black diamond washburn ((actually seymour duncan)) paul stanley signtaure pickup into my H-s-s superstrat. I soldered the black wire to the bridge position on the 5 way , the bare wire onto the volume pot, and the green wire also onto the volume pot. The other two wires, red and ((white i think?)) i soldered together. Now i am getting alot of feedback, and i allways did with old pickup to, so i need to sheild the electronics, How would this best be done?

How would i go about doing it with common household kitchen foil for example?

Cheers :D Rob

Hmm ok i think ive reworded it wrong, its a brand new pickup and the previous pickup that was on there which was also practically brand new had this problem. Maybe it isent so much feedback as it is hum? or just noise in general? whenever i stop touching the strings or dont play anything it starts squealing rather badly.

Sure sounds like feedback to me. :D

Even some new pickups are prone to feedback. New doesn't necessarily mean that it's been properly potted. Follow the above tutorial and see how things turn out. I potted my pickups in about two hours, though I have to admit I didn't think things through (using a can would have been a good idea... I used a ceramic bowl that I had to wash... ever try washing a layer of paraffin off something? B)) so next time it should only take an hour.

Also, you don't say how loud your amp is, or how close you are standing to it. You could have the most microphonic feedback-resistant pickups in the world, and ANY guitar will still be capable of sympathetic feedback with the amp.

Greg

so true i got a tonezone the other day brand new from the distributor they had been out for some time got it in the mail and put it in and now its been stripped down and in the wax

damn microphonic pickups

i wish i had more patience i woudl wind my own again

Kinda OT, but worth mentioning - that Igia paraffin skin machine (on late night cable TV infomercials, for those of you that have a life) makes a great pickup potting bath, and it's cheap! Just remember to buy the wax at the grocery store - you'll never be able to explain the scent to your bandmates!