Sustainer

extrempyro

wanted to change one of my quadrails on my Kramer to a sustainor by modding it as shown on this site. I'm having a hard time understanding the schematics, and there is no email to contact the person who made it. I'm not sure how it allworks/what all I need. If someone could please explain this in detail yet at the same time in major lamens terms that would be excellent. Thanks

-Josh

first time posting please help

That's the first i've seen of this "sustainer mod" and i can't see it being terribly effective. The wiring/component diagrams seem a little too basic for anyone to make sense of. If you're a "major layman", you might want to try some simpler electronic mods until you get the hang of soldering and guitar electronics in general.

Having a buzzy little piezo speaker screaming away in my guitar would drive me nuts, and i don't think it would give very natural-sounding feedback/sustain.

That's the first i've seen of this "sustainer mod" and i can't see it being terribly effective. The wiring/component diagrams seem a little too basic for anyone to make sense of. If you're a "major layman", you might want to try some simpler electronic mods until you get the hang of soldering and guitar electronics in general.

Having a buzzy little piezo speaker screaming away in my guitar would drive me nuts, and i don't think it would give very natural-sounding feedback/sustain.

have you built it??? i have a real hard time trying to eplain to people why stuff works, when it does, but if you have built it and dont' like it. i am sorry, to each his own

if you haven't built it and are just assuming based on normal practical theory, then well u would be disapointed by not trying it

everyone is entitled to there own opinions. and as i have stated many times before this will not actualy driver your strings. but will cause a sympathetic feedback via the ..

u know what i am not going to waste my time explaingin this . take a speaker put it in front of your pickups if you can't see the benefits of manipulatign yoru sound this way, then by all means dont'

I understand the theory, and i think it's pretty clever, sort of along the lines of the Fernandes Nomad guitars with the built-in amp and speaker. I just wouldn't want a piezo speaker buzzing away in my guitar.

Now that i realize the "LM386" is actually the Radio Shack part number, i understand it a bit better. Could be a fun little experiment for a couple of bucks!

I posted this in the same topic started on the solidbody side

Ansil did it...he's on the board and hangs out in the electronics section (actually this probably belongs there)

From my understanding it feeds the pickup out to an opamp that boost the output to drive a mini speaker...that basically vibrates the pickup...in a self sustaining cycle...the strings vibrate the pickup and the pickup vibrates the strings...

That's what I gather

From what ansil just said what I posted above in the quote is wrong...I'll go dig through the big thread about those tutorials after

I don't imagine that the piezo would make it sound buzzy though...it should be secured to make it work...I'm guessing now that this is to shake the pickup in relation to the strings or just set the coils shaking...meh...in either case the amp (LM386) drives the peizo and the peizo shakes something and sets up a vibration that "sustains"

check the four tutorials original thread i put up a mod page, and a faq page

http://geocities.com/cemaynard1134/faqsustainor.htm

heres a faq and a modded sustainor page

found it

Ansil, I dont doubt that your idea has some merit, but are you able to record the results as a WAV or MP3 so we can have a listen to what your circuit sounds like?

sure, someone send me a gutiar. be glad too. :D

i dont' have a guiatr currently that has this done to it,.. i orgiinally got the idea from my buddys guitar that i was fixing aas a joke one of those terminator guitars.

i gutted it and made it feedback and resonate via the internal speaker. i also did an acoustic the same way, although it was a slightly different principle

if i can get my other guitar up and running i will gladly do some clips, but right now i am currently guitarless