My 8 string

Just done this spec list for Jeremy over at LGM...work has begun B)

Alder body

All acess neck joint

Jem style jack socket

"RG" controls placement

Close to RG body shape

Top horn lengthened to centre over 12th fret to aid balance

3 piece quatersawn maple neck with carbon re-enforcement rods

LGM headstock shape with 5/3 tuner config.

Translucent black headstock finish, with chrome LGM guitars logo

26" scale length - 24 frets

Dunlop 6100 fretwire

Raw, unfinished neck

Side dot inlays (black), custom Inlay at the 12th fret in black plastic

Quilted maple board (supplied)

EMG 45 DC pickups (neck and bridge)

Blade style 3 way pickup selector

Hipshot 8 string bridge in chrome

Chrome knobs (knurled metal type)

Chrome Gotoh machine heads

Translucent black finish with natural binding on body

I cant wait to get it :D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I did consider building it myself - but due to the fact I have never built a guitar before in my life, I didnt think it was the best thing to start out on... The inlay is simple, but Ive lost the pic of the design, Ill get Jeremy to mail it back over to me and post it when I have it. And it should be ready in a month or 2 :D

Sounds to become a very nice instrument btw.

How do you tune a 8-string and what kinda music do you plan to play on it?

agreed, i want to know what style your playing and where you plan on getting strings, pickups, ect.

heres a 8 string, made by Nevborn in Sweden for Meshuggah:

Sleipner-XL.jpg

neck is frickin huge, looks bigger than a 6 string bass. insane. tuned to straight G

t

sounds interesting jammy. :D i hope it turns out good.

i just have a few suggestions and opinions though. [i will try not to be too critical ;)]

26" scale length - 24 frets

if i was going to build an 8 string i would have a longer scale than 26". i don't really know what you are planning to play on this axe though. it might be an ok scale length if you are planning to play something other than metal, but if you are going to play metal with this thing, try a longer scale [doesn't have to mushuggah long] but longer than 26". i would build mine at 29.5" - just shorter than a short length scale bass. just remember string will be expensive at this scale, you might even need some bass string [which aren't cheap] so keep in mind that longer scale = tighter the tension of the strings which means you will need not as thick guaged strings as a shorter scale.

EMG 45 DC pickups (neck and bridge)

bass pickups? their is probably a reason why you want them [i don't know why] but just my opinion [again you say?! sorry :(] well since you are building a guitar with 8 strings, you might as well go the whole 9 yards and spend a little more on pickup/s. but first, about the housing. wouldn't an EMG 40 housing be sufficient enough? i mean a 6 string guitar pickup housing is about 3" long. now the 707 and 81/7 housing which is in a EMG 35 [4 string bass] housing is 3.5". now acording to normal guitar string spacing an EMG 40 [5 string bass] housing would be sufficient enough for an 8 string guitar at 4". i bet you EMG could make any of their guitar pups that would fit in a EMG 40 housing. i mean they can now make 81/7's, what is stopping them by making an 81/8 or even an 808? just make sure the pup/s have harizontal bar pieces and not vertical pole pieces.

neck is frickin huge, looks bigger than a 6 string bass. insane. tuned to straight G

yeah it looks really huge but it is not as big as it looks, it is just the angle of which the picture was taken. but yeah, you need a pretty big axe if you want to tune to F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb. have a look at some live meshuggah pictures for a proper understanding of its proportion. [meshuggah dudes might be tall, so it might look smaller to them.] but i think it looks a little smaller than a bass.

edit in bold

yeah it looks really huge but it is not as big as it looks, it is just the angle of which the picture was taken. but yeah, you need a pretty big axe if you want to tune to F#. have a look at some live meshuggah pictures for a proper understanding of its proportion. [meshuggah dudes might be tall, so it might look smaller to them.] but i think it looks a little smaller than a bass.

you might be right...to me it looks like hes not using as large of guage strings as if you 'scaled up' a 6 string. maybe like a .70 or something? maybe he can use a less wide neck since hes saving like an inch on the heel from smaller guage strings?

cs-Meshuggah2-Atlanta72802.JPG

As for the pickup choice...EMG45DC's are acutally a big EMG 85...so they work perfectly for guitar aswell :D

I didnt want to go too long on the scale length because I wanted the higher strings still to be useable...can you imagine trying to get a high E with a 30" scale length? I have a UV and that plays fine (no "flop") so with the correct gauge string I should be fine.

As for the tuning...its gonna be (high to low) e b g d a e b f#

Isn't that guitar in the picture up the page only a 7 string?

hehe. gotta love the simplicity of the nevborn though, 8 strings, one bridge pickup, and ONE knob on the whole thing. HAHA! talk about getting the job done with minimal effort.

:D

(BUT, he is running though alot of processors after that, so maybe thats how he's doing it?)

Hes no longer in the band, they have no use for a bassist now because they have the 8 string's

dude, are you serious?