How long should fret board be?

I got my headstock on my neck and fingerboard glued on, sittin into the body of my guitar, needs couple little spots of sanding, but the fingerboard is WAY long it comes to the m,iddle of my body (guitar :D ) and there is no way that i can fit 2 humbuckers and a tune-o-matic bridge on there, so i really want a 24 fret, but i can settle with a 22 fret, with a tiny bit of overhang, how long should a 24 fret fingerboard be?

Thanks

Curtis

i mesured my 22 wasburn and it mesures to be 18 and half inches from nut, i am not sure if i want jumbo frets or not, is there a fret calculator somewhere??

Curtis

Quick Edit

If i did it identicle to my wasburn fret board, will it still be fine for some heavy stuff? if i dont need the 24 frets i wont do it, it might be easier this way since it is my first guitar

Curtis

i mesured my 22 wasburn and it mesures to be 18 and half inches from nut, i am not sure if i want jumbo frets or not, is there a fret calculator somewhere??

If you haven't played on a guitar with jumbo frets, maybe go to a store and ask to play one with jumbo frets to see if you like it... but beware what some call jumbo has been pretty low from what I've experienced.

Fret calculator: http://www.buildyourguitar.com/resources/f...c/jscrptclc.htm

scale length is the back of the nut to the saddle on the high e string, there is a fret calculator on guitarbuild.com works pretty good, with 24 frets all you hafta do for the pickups is move the neck pickup back a lil unless of course you already routed the pickup cavities

MzI

It's the nut to the high E string saddle

If you don't really know what you are talking about then PLEASE add at least a warning that you are not sure. I am so sick of all people passing wrong statements as facts to less expirienced builders that might ruin their months of work only because of a wrong advice....

To clear it up:

The scale length is a theoritical string length between nut and bridge. It is only theoretical because of two things:

1. The length of each string has to be set individually in order to get every string to intonate correctly

2. Every guitar has a longer string length then it's theoretical scale length in order to compensate for the string being stretched during fretting it

The right way to do it is to decide on a scale. Then you use a fret placement calculator in order to figure out where to place the frets. Usually the overhang after the last fret goes to where the next fret would be placed. That means if you have a 24 fret fingerboard it usually has an overhang to where the 25th fret would be.

Thanks Wes, i mesured my washburn neck this time from the nut to the heel and then compared them, the one i built is a bit bigger so i am having minumal overhang for the 24 frets, thanks alot guys!!

Curtis