Skill level

Brian

Which best describes yourself?  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i got into tinkering just by playing w/ my bass and guitar, but as i learned more, i started charging my friends for finishes and repairs and "upgrades" (better pickups, tuners, etc) and i've been doing that mostly when i need money, so like, a job or two a month. but def not pro...

I guess I'm sort of in the middle as "skilled" or "player" but not a "skilled player". Hard to judge something like that for yourself anyway. People ask me if I'm good and I'll usually reply, "Would you like it if I was?" :D But I have done some major renovations and rebuilds on acoustics and electrics for money. I've got one from scratch under my belt so far and will only sell if offered the right amount, but there will be others.

bugger - i null voted by accident. I do bits and pieces on the side, usualy set ups and electrical.

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

vOTED MASTER. Build from scratch, and dig it. Sell em too. That's the hardest part for me. A beautiful guitr, sound great, plays great....out the door! :D

Being the dumb-ass i am, i accidently voted null. I would say im alittle above a novice, although like others, i knew squat before joining this site! So far, all i have under my belt is a re-finish and general upgrade of my no-name 6-stringer. I wanna do a complete build but im too scared at the mo :D

i voted master only cause i built from scratch, but id rather be pro, because im jobless and all i want to do is build guitars, but i cant seem to get the whole buisiness thing going!i need a freakin shop with heat, and i need to get a web site up and my wife keeps yelling at me to get a job, and she supports the whole guitar thing but wont help me with the buisiness end of it, and i need a real shop! man am i depressed! i think im gonna go curl up n a ball. i wish i didnt have this undieing love for building these things! then i could have built mine and been satisfied but nooooooo i had to love it and now want everyone to play one of my creations, man i strongly dislike myself right now!

Hang in there Rye. Maybe you could get a part-time gig, working at something related. Say, a music store or a hardwoods vendor. I just gave up my self-employed status to work for someone else. Lots more money, lots less time for everything else. I'm looking foward to getting tools and hardware with the cash, but bummed that I'll get guitars done way more slowly. Which was already pretty damn slow.

So, keep on sharing with the forum here. We'll all support each other.

I settled on skilled. I build 'em and fix 'em for money but I have a "real" job until I can afford to do this full time - what I really mean is until the wife says I can quit and do this! :D I also have a lot to learn which is why I depend on this forum and the repairs to enhance my building skills. To me it's better to learn on a cheap fixer upper and others experience than on a custom.

I think I pretty much suck at playing but do practice at least an hour or two a day. Others seem to think I play pretty good. I can keep time which is IMO a very good thing for a bass player :D

Current project (besides the ongoing repair work) is a '62 Strat from scratch. I have the body cut and shaped and should be working on the rest right now B) I will post pic's when it's done. Hopefully by Christmas.....

Oh, and I have a J bass that was "done" 2 weeks ago but I ordered new pickups for it today. I just don't like the sound of the Fender pups for some reason. I ordered the Lace Sensor J bass set and I'll let you bass players out there know if they sound any good. I'll try to post a link to an mp3 since sound is a very subjective thing. I've heard the Lace Gold guitar pups and they blew me away. If the bass pups are half as good I may be permanently converted!

Hey Litch......Congrat's on the baby on the way!

It sucks to have to work. I love what I do for a living (plc programming) I just can't stand to be on a schedule - especially someone else's schedule. I've been involved in small business and family business most of my life and it does suck being on your own too. The tax man never rests. Neither does the health insurance man, the liabilty insurance man, the buttheads that don't want to pay you for months, everyone who wants something for free 'cause they think they're your best buddy all of a sudden, etc., etc., etc..........

Good luck finding a job. The market here seems to be on the upswing. My company is hiring like mad if you like making cheese.... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I voted Player,As i have made some cash from re-fin's and routing work

I dunno,i've never actually built a neck from scratch,but my first will be an 8 string B)

But by heck i've learnt loads along the way,from Universal,to project geetarrrr,obviously before Project was around,Universal was invaluble to my Jem modifications

Thanks to you all,But more over,Many thanks to Brian,for the dedication to start Project ... And as alway,to the people who help me out from time to time :D

Merry xmas guys

Rob

• 6 months later...