Skill level

Brian

Which best describes yourself?  

169 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted pro, can do almost any repair on an electric, can work on most acoustics, my building is getting closer to pro-ish... The next LP copy I make should put me over the top....

This time I am actually using a plan... I have all my templates except for a neck tenon, which I am making - slowly moving though.

Its much nicer to be a on a beach during the summer than in my basement.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I picked Novice since it is defined as someone who is just learning. I'm still learning daily, and that's what keeps it fun. There are so many more projects that I want to do and finish before I would even feel comfortable as claiming to even be a guitar builder at all. One thing that I want to build from scratch if an Acoustic. I'm still reading as much as I can on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well since there is only one category that covers complete builds from raw lumber to the finished product and that is the master category I voted that way. Having 16 years experience building from scratch I still feel that I am learning and evolving as a luthier so I wouldn't call myself a master. I don't think most builders would except the exceptionally gifted or the totally arrogant. I feel I build pro quality guitars but I have yet to build anything flawless. That takes a few decades (if it ever really happens).

Interesting results though. The 'masters' have a lot of work to do on this forum!

I'm a novice here to learn. And boy have I !

I am about halfway thorugh my first "from scratch" build. I have done everything myself, including making the neck. The only thing I "cheated" on was I bought a pre-slotted fret board from Stewart-Mac.

So, I am definitely a novice, but I am well on my way to becoming a hobbiest !