Fender Strat - Hum issues

Hey everyone,

i just completed my guitar. Its a lefty strat-like, with texas special pickups. I finally got to play it loud on Friday night. Obviously because of the hum cancelling, reverse wound middle pickup, there was no hum in the 2 and 4 positions on the 5 way switch selector. I was, however, getting some hum in the 1,3 , and 5 positions. Is SOME hum normal in a strat in these positions, or can it be completely eliminated. I shielded the entire cavity with copper tape, and shielded the underside of the pickgaurd as well. Is there anything else it could be. All my wiring connections seem to be clean.

I'd appreciate any kind of response, comment, feedback. Thanks.

-Zeggs

Some hum is normal, as single coil pickups are more prone to hum, hence the production of "humbucking" pickups which "buck" the hum. However, the hum can be reduced to barely noticeable. i believe the site you want is www.guitarnuts.com Check out the wiring and shielding section.

well im not sure if this helps,

but i was working on my fender strat and i put in some new pickups. and when you look at the 5 way switch, when the switch is in the 1 and 5 position they are closer to the metal screws that holds the switch in.

And if you did not properly shield/ground the guitar, when replacing something, the hardware, might just be sensitive.

Positions 1,3 & 5 are using each pick-up individually and tend to be a little noisier than the 2 & 4 position since they use either the bridge or neck postion with the middle pickup which is normally reverse wound. This creates a humbucking effect. Proper shielding will help but some hum is normal in a single coil. It's part of the sound :D

I tried the Vintage Noiseless set side by side with the Texas Specials and liked the Noiseless better for tone and less hum. B)

As per the Guitarnuts instructions, copper shielding isn't always enough-- be sure to do a proper star-ground, as well, which for many people has been even more important than the shielding.