lacquered fretboards

hey,

i was wonderin why f.boards arent lacqured. i know maple mones often are, but i have made a teak fretboard and was thinkin of lacquerin the fretboard, as this makes it really cool, deep, and bringing out the grain. should i lacquer?

Mike

teak doesn't need any finish, and if i remember correctly.. it's one of those waxy-ish really really hard woods. so if you sand it long enough and work your way up the grits you can turn it into a mirror without even a drop of finish...

instead of laquer alot of people find it nice to oil their fingerboards with double boiled linseed oil or something similar... linseed is kinda sticky for a couple weeks till it fully cures... there are other types that dry faster...

Teak is so oily you may find that you have trouble getting finish to adhere to it. I'd certainly recommend that you wipe it with thinners before trying to glue it to your neck. As always, wood is very variable, so you may be fine without wiping, but some teak can be spectacularly oily, and may need to be glued with epoxy.

yeh, this teak is quite oily, it has been glued to the neck already, i used thinners to remove the grease, but sincec the neck is scalloped i dont think that having it laquered would slow playing down, and also it will give a fantastic deep finish, as the grain is really brought out when it is laquered. What do you guys think?

it's one of those waxy-ish really really hard woods

derek, this is quite suprising, its a helluva waxy! but its quite a soft hardwood. though it is still reasonably hard. its nice to work!