Skull Guitar Signed

OK, a miracle happened and I got it signed. For that I am forever grateful. I've been a huge Lynch fan from the start - he's the reason why I started playing. It was a tremendous thing that he turned around and came back to sign it for me. I'll never forget it. I was hoping to get the back of the headstock signed but for reasons I don't want to bore you with it didn't happen that way. I'm still very grateful though - I'm not really complaining - just a little confused about what to do.

Now, here's my issues:

I was planning on selling the guitar but two things are on my mind:

1. I don't want to profit from his signature

2. I don't think anyone other than a Lynch fan will recognize the markings.

3. It's obviously not finished yet. Can I still stain/dye it black/blue?

GeorgeSig%20002.jpg

GeorgeSig%20006.jpg

This may not be the right section for this - I don't know.

If you were planning on selling the guitar anyway, and didn't want to profit from his signature, then why did you have him sign it in the first place?

I am totally confused as to your intentions for the guitar. Don't mean that in a bad way, but it just doesn't add up for me at all.

If you wanted to finish the guitar black/blue, then basically the signature is gone.

If you wanted his signature for yourself cuz he's your hero, then why are you selling the guitar?

I am clueless on this one. :D

A little clarification would help. B)

PS, it's a beautiful guitar!

It's the one thing I had that I was proud of and thought he might appreciate. If you asked me last week what I thought my odds were, I'd say 10%. I guess I could have had a poster signed, but given the choice between a chance to show him my guitar and a poster, guess which one I picked? I knew there was a good chance that I would not be able to part with it if he actually signed it so now I'm at that crossroads.

I have a feeling there are many people that just don't understand my position and I'm not up for explaining any further. I was just hoping someone could relate and give an opinion on what they would do but since nobody seems to be able to relate to the way I feel about it, it's pointless to continue with this topic.

Thank anyway,

Dave

Edit:

I guess one thing I may not have mentioned is that I had always thought that he would have signed the back of the headstock (that's what everyone told me he would do if it wasn't an ESP). If I still had to sell it due to finances, it wouldn't be a problem since most people who aren't Lynch fans wouldn't care. Now that the front of the body has his signature, it makes it harder for me to think that I could sell it to anyone but a hardcore Lynch fan. That's aside from the whole issue of me wanting to keep it due to the signature and events that night - separate issues in my mind.

The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me that I should just keep it. Maybe I can build another like it some day.

Thanks for reading - like I was saying - I was hoping to find someone who could relate but I don't think it's really possible.

Thanks,

Dave

Thank you.

I guess I made the decision to have him sign it based more on emotion than logic - ignoring the consequences of what would happen if it really was signed. Oh well.

Anyway, I routed one side of the pickup cavities deeper and wider than normal. The pickups slide in at an angle then over an up if that makes sense. I think it may have been AlexVDL that posted info on this a long time ago. It's a bit tricky but certainly doable for anyone who really wants that look. I'm not against using pickup mounting rings - I just wanted to have that look for the guitar.

Dave

Man that guitar kick ass, why would you want to sell it!?!?! And having your hero sign it makes it even better. Plus i doubt anyone else would be able to know what that sig. says. If you really dont want to profit from the sig, then you could always sand it... but then why's the point of having it signed??

Man that guitar kick ass, why would you want to sell it!?!?! And having your hero sign it makes it even better. Plus i doubt anyone else would be able to know what that sig. says. If you really dont want to profit from the sig, then you could always sand it... but then why's the point of having it signed??

Thanks.

I keep trying to sum it up in a way that will make sense but I don't know if I can - here's another try:

Up until mid-March, I didn't plan on having George sign it - I just didn't think it was possible. I always planned on selling it. I found out that he does sign things for people and if it was a non-ESP guitar, he would sign the back of the headstock. It was the only guitar I had that I thought was worthy of him seeing.

It is a guitar that I am proud of and it's something in George's style so I thought it would be cool to show it to him and maybe ask him to sign it. I thought it was a long-shot and took a "wait and see" approach to it. I didn't really think of the consequences of him signing it - I based the whole thing on emotion not logic.

If he had signed the back of the headstock, it would not be an issue to a potential buyer who didn't know George Lynch. Now that it's on the front of the body and it's not readable, it's an issue.

To me, that's completely separate issue from the one that is pulling me into keeping it. George Lynch is at the center of my guitar world but on the other hand, that doesn't pay any bills. So, in hind sight, I could have just not brought it to him. I think I would have always wondered if I should have though. Do you see why this is so confusing to me? Some people would say "hey, he signed it - keep it" but like I said - that won't pay my bills. I just never thought I would be in this position - I guess I just wanted to try and see if he would sign it just so I could sleep at night knowing I at least tried. I never thought I would be left in this state of mind over it though.

Oh yeah, then there's the issue of profiting from his signature - I just don't like the idea that he signed it, and I'm going to turn around and sell it. Even knowing this, I still don't know if that would have held me back from trying since I would have always wondered if I chickened out. Do you see why I'm all confused about this?

I guess if I had another cool looking guitar kickin around none of this would have happened - I just don't have another one like it.

First of all, I think it's an awesome axe and the fact that George signed it on the front of the body without it being an ESP means that he probably thought so as well.

Second, I'd look into just clear finishing it with the natural look. Any kind of stain or finish that reacts with the marker ink will ruin the signature. It's hard to tell from digital pics, but it looks like you used good looking wood throughout and it will look good with a natural finish.

I'd have a hard time parting with any instrument my guitar hero signed. I guess if I were in the same situation, I'd try to bring two guitars to have signed. One for me, one for sale. If you really need to sell the instrument, I doubt that George would be too upset about making money off of his sig. ESP might be upset with HIM if they found out about it, and they might contact you if you try to sell it as a George Lynch Signature guitar instead of say, Custom Guitar signed by George Lynch.

It all depends on how much you need the money and whether you really want to keep his signature. Personally, I'd keep the guitar both as a souvenir and an investment.

Or you could just take it all apart and build a new body. Keep the signed body and sell the new guitar.

This maybe a completely retarded idea, but it's my best shot at it.

What if you took a really really nice picture of the sig close-up, maybe even 3-4 different angles, and then had it framed nice and large and stick it in your living room or wherever, then went ahead and sanded the sig off and finished the guitar whatever way you preferred?

The sig is holding you back from making a great sellable finish if you want to sell the guitar if high dollar is what you're after, unless you just want to blatantly advertise it as a GL signed guitar (which I have no problems with either)

If you want to do 'that', then I would spray a water-based dye on the wood, no wipe-on, and spray lightly, a blue. Let it dry, then clear-coat over it, then use a shader/toner coat to finish it off.

This way, you get your sig, and you can go ahead and finish the guitar whatever way you want?

BTW, don't take it so personally man, I didn't mean anythig negative by what I said, I was honestly completely perplexed by the whole thing. You're second explanation clarified everything nicely :D

I think a big-ass pro-quality framed picture on your wall would be cooler to admire than having to look at the guitar anyway...

Thanks crafty, I'm really leaning toward keeping it - at least the body. It's hard to imagine me every being able to get him to sign one again since he rarely plays on the east coast.

BTW, don't take it so personally man, I didn't mean anythig negative by what I said, I was honestly completely perplexed by the whole thing. You're second explanation clarified everything nicely

I didn't - but I've been trying to explain it on another site and there are some who are real quick to judge. Some assumed that I wasn't grateful enough but anyone who knows me would never believe that. It's so hard for me to put my thoughts into a message board - especially on a topic that has so many facets such as this. Part of my frustration is conveying the mixed feeling of having worked so hard for so long on it, and not be able to finish it the way I planned BUT - it was signed and looked at by the guy who is at the center of my guitar universe. Very mixed emotions.

I'll probably try doing what you were saying about the shade/toner coat but it certainly looks like the sand-back finish is off.

Pffff....sand that ugly scribble out of that beautiful axe....it looks as it became the victim of a 2-year old who was armed with a marker....it completely ruins the beautiful guitar in my opinion. I really like Lynch's playing but that does simply decrease the value of the guitar. If you sell it WITH the autograph you won't get a good price from the average buyer, as the signature simply looks very ugly and is in a stupid spot of the guitar as well. Noone that is not blind or no diehard lynch fan will buy it that way at all I suspect....

you're in a BBBIIIIIGGGG dilemma daveq. i can tell that. my uncle once in a condition just like you. he had his guitar, signed by one of the local guitarist that, plays extremely well, and a bit famous here. at the time (round the 80's) it's a bit hard to get your hero signed for you but him, he got his guitar signed! but then, he made a mistake. dunno if it's a big deal or not, but he had it signed on his custom guitar, which he planned in the beginning to sell it to a friend. he was in dilemma as the guitar now holds two things, his friend downpayment for the guitar and also the signature of his guitar hero. you know what he had done? rip the body off, make a new one, which he used avery hard but good wood, to make the body. he sacrificed a bit more but he got his guitar framed on the wall.

btw, that's a nice axe man. whatever that you do, don't regret your own decision man.

Wow, that's more to think about. Thanks for those replies.

why dont you take tracing paper, trace over the sig, then sand it off and then scribble his sig back on when its done??

Yeah, I did think about something similar but somehow it wouldn't be the same to me - thanks anyway.

was this the yngwie and lynch concert 2 weeks ago? because i was there! amazing!

It was the one on 4/4/04 in NY and, yes, it was quite incredible!!

What are you using for router templates?

You know, I was surprised when I looked at those pics also - I made the template for the bridge but used the stewmac template for the pickups.

Maybe building another body is the safest way to go. I do have another sweet flamed maple top that I've been holding onto.

Thanks again,

Dave