Fabric finish on a Yamaha RG110

Hi.. i´m new to this site..i´m been reading a lot of the threads and i´m shocked of all the guitars that i´d seen so far..all look so nice and professional.. and everybody´s seen very willing to help eachother..

I want to show the guitar i´m working now..is a yamaha RG110 ( i know ..a cheap guitar :D ) ..but not now..

When i purchased this guitar, 2 year ago..it was all original.. white with a sync tremolo and one humbucker.. the minute i took it I put an OFR and EMG85..and add a tone..and changed the output jack to the side ..but while a was doing that i craked the top of the guitar badly so i repared that and had to painted so i decide to change the color to Grey..i was looking for a picture but could not find it..but i´m sure i have in some where..

about 5 month ago i purchased a EMG SA..and i decided to put the Emg´s in my Peavy Vanderberg ..and i love it.. the single coil of the peavey is so weak..and now, with the Emg´s it sounds fantastic..

So returning to the Yamaha.. I put the Vanderberf humbucker there and add another humbucker..a Dimarzio Paf ...but know that i found this site of project guitar i wanna to change the look of the guitar totally.. B)

So i see the tutorial of material finish by Brian´s and this is what i´m doing so far...

actually is my second try..i did not like what i was gettin the first time..have some trouble witn the sanding and with the Burst.. :D

1-front-cut.jpg

2-back-no%20fabric%20yet_2.jpg

as you can see i sanded all the grey but still are some white..and after glued the fabric i realize that i would be better leaving all the white becuase where the yellow is you can see some diferences where are white underneth..is more "bright".. but well ..that´s the way you learn things..

3-back-fabric%20on%20.jpg

4-back_fabric%20on.jpg

So what you guys think so far..?

in case you wanna see the failed one this:

http://mipagina.cantv.net/jimenezr/5-prueb...20like%20it.jpg

well any help would be apreciated,

cheers

looking good man! im planning on tyring out a material finish soon as well, so I hope it goes smoothly.

What do you make of the general look of the finish after you get some lacquer on it? Does the pattern of the material really become almost lost under the clear coats? or does it always look a bit cheezy :D

looking good man! im planning on tyring out a material finish soon as well, so I hope it goes smoothly.

What do you make of the general look of the finish after you get some lacquer on it? Does the pattern of the material really become almost lost under the clear coats? or does it always look a bit cheezy :D?

well i´m on the way to find out ..i´m still in the sealent process..it have to be a very THICK sealer coat and sanded to be smooth..

the edge had givin me some troubles because this is very rounded body, no like the ibanez RG or Jem..but i´m working on it..i´m almost where you can see no diference from the wood to the fabric..but it have to be perfect, right?

:D

Awesome fabric you picked out vladdrac  and Jivin the surface eventually becomes glassy smooth if you clear it enough and of course sand as needed.

WoooooooooooooW :DB) ....thanks MAN

You are the person that makes me want to do these Mods (next will be my RG550)..you made them look so easy in your Site. I´m so happy that you like the Fabric ..is awesome..

i´m gonna do the a Yellow Burst..what do you think?

cheers

I would rather a black burst if it were mine, but its not, so do what you would prefer

I already did that, didn´t you see the failed one?

I though that the guitar was too DARK..now i´m going for something more ALIVE..

I was thinking for some time now to glue on the neck of my guitar a piece of fabric...silk probably.

Glue it on top of the finish.

I just want to see how "silky" smooth the feel of the neck would be after that...

What do you think?

I don´t know but i think that could not work.. :D it wouldn´t feel too "silky" couse of the glue..it would feel very strange I quite sure about it..

The best feel of the neck is without the clear coat..like the one on my BSB, it feel GREAT..Just sand the neck and i´m sure you will like it better..i think you should start with a grit 400 and going up till 1200 or 1500 or when you feel it good

That is what i´m gonna do to my RG550

Anybody can add some coment on this?

Yellow would certainly brighten it up but what do you think about gold?

i never though about Gold..all the hardware is Chrome...even the knobs ..and the hardest part is that i´m in Venezuela..not all you want you can get it.. :D

Gold paint can be very dificult to obtein..in laquer i mean..i going to check it out for some Spray Can...but all beeing imported.. after the year + we have with "monetary change control"..is hard to get..most of the item start to lack off pretty bad in this country ...the yellow laquer can be obtein ..no problem there..

THANKS for your suggestion. B)

cheers

Sweet dude, Keep up the good work, and remember, pics Pics PICS  B)

Rob

I will, don´t worry about it... :D

Welcome to the forum.Looks good.Hey if Fender can use,(used)a piece of Borden wallpaper,why not fabric?Cool pattern too,gonna look funky when it's all assembled.

Thanks Man, you´re the first one who game a Welcone to the Forum..i needed

that.. :D:D

I hope it looks very Cool after all...

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

ok..have passing a few weeks ..now it almost done..just need the Clear coat...

i´m gonna use a Poliurethane finish

i just put the neck, the Pups over and the Floyd..for the picture..

casi%20lista.jpg

casi%20lista2.JPG

it only have Sealer And a yellow laquer..

I´m not so happy with the burst.. :D but it is my first one and i think a learned a few things for the next time...as soon as i finish this, i´m gonna start with my RG550 "Jem_mination"..lol..

What you guys think so far..?

cheers

Well, since you already said you're not happy with the burst--

There's too much solid yellow distracting the viewer from the cool pattern on the cloth. I don't know if I would have bursted at all, opting for either yellow trim, or even yellow around just the sides.

HOWEVER, that's not to say it doesn't look cool. It looks VERY cool, in fact, but it's just VERY yellow! If you're going to go 'all the way' with that colour, I'd suggest throwing a bit on the headstock, too, somehow, to balance it out a bit.

The actual quality of the finish is remarkable... from those pics, it seems to be glassy-smooth!

Greg

There's too much solid yellow distracting the viewer from the cool pattern on the cloth. I don't know if I would have bursted at all, opting for either yellow trim, or even yellow around just the sides.

Yeah, that´s exactly the problem..but i´m beganing to feel comfortable about it...

i know is "pretty laud"...color wise :D ..but that no bad for a shreder guitar..

thanks for your comment...

cheers

i think it looks awesome.........im doing a material finish to but im going to spray my sides with polyurethane black..........

have you put the poly clear coat on it yet???

Thanks... :D

No.. i haven´t put the poly coat yet...

I´ll do it next week...

cheers