Best Guitarist Ever

ajb

Which Guitairsts do you feel is the best  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its out of those 9 guitarists and when i say best i mean overall, innovation, talent, smart, average those togetehr or somthin

there isnt a designated list for guitarists whihc must show on polls, its you pick your favorite guitarists from there, if u dont like it than u can... i'll stop there.

He had too much technique if you ask me, too much speed and technique and the feeling and soul suffer. McLaughlin always left me a little dry. Scott Henderson, although very talented, always left me feeling the exact same way...too much technique, no feeling. Too many notes. Too cocky. Not honest. He hides behind his guitar playing ability.

DiMeola had much more control with all the technique, and a lot more feeling.

Listening to DiMeola always left me completely filled whether he was playing fast, slow, or medium tempo.

I think 'the fastest gun' theory relating to guitar playing is bullshit anyway, I don't believe in it at all.

I used to when I was young tho.

I can see why young guys think that masturbating on a guitar with gobs of distortion equals talent, and the faster you can play the more talented you are...

...and that is true, but only in -one single aspect- of playing a guitar, and playing guitar is a really multi-faceted art form. There are so many shades of playing a guitar...

Actually, my 4 top heroes for better than 20 years have always been DiMeola, Roy Buchanan, Frank Zappa, and Eddie (Guitar Slim) Jones. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. Toss Michael Schenker in there as well. :D

I don't even own a Hendrix album or CD. Not knockin' him, I like to listen to him, and he was a monster, but he's not in my top contenders. Those 5 will always be my top 5. Just personal choices. I have tons of other favorites from every spectrum of guitar playing.

And I LOVE over-the-top guitar players, always have, from every form, from Tony Rice and Norman Blake to Adrien Legg to Strunz and Farah, to Holdsworth and Morse, to Vai and those guys, and tons of others.

But my 5 will always remain at the top of the heap with me, and they aren't necessarily the fastest guns alive, but what all 5 could do is to portray themselves through their guitar openly, honestly, and directly, from their souls to your ears. You heard their guitar playing and you knew who they were as people. They could transmit their very souls out thru their fingers and into an amp and you knew THEM without ever having to hear their voice or actually meet them.

Now, it takes some real talent to be able to do that. There are others who can do it, those just happen to be my 5 faves who could do it.

SRV could do that, Carlos can do that.

I don't give a damn about speed or technique, I think it's much harder to actually let someone know who you are just by playing your guitar.

It's a completely whole other side of playing the instrument compared to someone who basically just has tons of technique at their disposal and that's it, you never actually hear THEM speak, you hear their years of practice.

There's a big difference between those 2 worlds.

There, that should be a bone you can chew on for a few posts. B)

If you had to pick one person to save the world by playing guitar graded by both technique, versatility, feel, speed, harmony - I would need to say that it is currently Joe Satriani. I'm not currently on a Satch kick right now but if I was responsible for picking the guitarist to save the world by those categories it would be him and I would feel quite safe.

Now, I need to plug the guy I've been raised on - George Lynch. I think he belongs in the list. Most people probably stopped listening to him after Dokken (if they ever started) but I think many of you might appreciate his newer stuff like "I Will Remember", "Tiera Del Fuego", "Breath and A Scream", ... He's more diverse than I think most people would think. If I had to choose one CD for anyone to try out - I think it would be "Sacred Groove" but it really depends on your taste since each CD has a different feel. "I Will Remember" is a masterpiece and really should be required listening for modern guitarists in my opinion. He's also got several very good instructional videos which I would recommend (The Bible video is the best of them, I think). Sorry for the long-winded plug - I think he's worth it.

Jimmy Page is by far the best rythm guitarist I've ever heard - pure genius.

This is a question with an impossible answer. Its all a matter of opinion which means nothing. Every guitarist has their own trademark, their own playing style. Some may be better than other's at a certain skill but it dosent mean they are the "Best Guitarist Ever"

of those, mr. angus young. i love ACDC, as well as his SG...

...too much speed and technique and the feeling and soul suffer.

I totally disagree but that is totally subjective anyway. BTW, I think DiMeola has more speed and less technique.

McLaughlin always left me a little dry...

DiMeola had much more control with all the technique, and a lot more feeling.

Having followed both careers and having seen them both perform more than once, I would have to reverse the two names in everything you wrote about them. But then again it's all subjective and I would never dare trying to state that as fact.

BTW, I was actually dozing off during the Electric half of one of DiMeola's concerts and thought there was something wrong with me until I looked around and saw several other people slouched low in their seats. That never happened at a McLaughlin concert.

I have this "In from the Storm" Hendrix tribute where McLaughlin plays with Sting on "Wind cries Mary".

It's probably the most out of tune and horrible guitar solo I've ever heard. What a terrible tone too... sterile and no feel.

Did I mention it's out of tune???

I have this "In from the Storm" Hendrix tribute where McLaughlin plays with Sting on "Wind cries Mary".

It's probably the most out of tune and horrible guitar solo I've ever heard. What a terrible tone too... sterile and no feel.

Did I mention it's out of tune???

You're allowed to your opinion but that's all it is... your OPINION.

I have the CD and just listened to the tune. It's not out of tune. He used some kind of effect, maybe a ring modulator, probably to tribute Hendrix's imperfect "out-of-tune" style. I feel a lot of emotional intensity in that solo but that's just my opinion.