Fret file

tsl602000

I lost my fret crowning file. Searchred the whole place but can't find it so I'll just order a new one.

I always used the Stew mac steel file and was wondering if those diamond files are really so much better than the steel files to justify the double cost....

I have the Offset Diamond Fret File in 300 grit and it really does a nice clean job, with less chatter so you don't have as much touch up work later on. I could still be using the steel files, but after watching the Advanced Fretting Videos I noticed that they used diamond files on the pro setups. I think that they last longer, but the other files aren't that bad either. Really the main reasons I got that particular file is because 300 grit isn't too harsh, the offset lets you crown hard to do areas, the file will last a long time, and it will do all size fretwire also. It wasn't cheap but I feel that I have a good file that will give me great results, and I shouldn't have to have another file in a long time. I'm planning on buying the 150 grit one next, just to get one that will take off alot if I need to in a hurry. All in all though, you should be able to get professional results with any of the crown files, steel or diamond. I would just buy what I could afford at the time, because I went to visit a very good local luthier and was suprised he was using the old 3 in 1 Steel Fret Crowning file still. So basically any of them will do you a good job, it's just a matter of what you are comfortable using and how long you want the tool to last you.

I would just buy what I could afford at the time, because I went to visit a very good local luthier and was suprised he was using the old 3 in 1 Steel Fret Crowning file still.

Yep, i use the three-in-one set, and find it perfect for my needs. I havent tried the diamond type, but my experience with other diamond based tools has been less than acceptable. However, the diamond tools i have used have all been "made in china", so i guess that says it all....

We'll not sure about other diamond files, but I can speak for the one I have and it works great. But the question that you should ask yourself is; do you really need it or not? I guess what I was trying to say earlier was that I'd have to question someones ability if they couldn't get good results with a steel file. Either one you get will be fine, diamond or steel.

I bought the regular steel fretfile a while ago and wasn't really happy with the performance. I get better results from my trusty triangular file with 2 edges ground smooth. I've been told that the true diamond fret file carried by StewMac will crown a fret in only a few swipes. I can see the expense being worthwhile if you are in the biz and are doing fretwork all year long. But I won't spend $70+ for a tool designed to do only one thing and will be used maybe 3X a year at the most. Each to his own, I'm proficient enough with the triangle.