P-90

gw_guitars

Hi

You won't believe this but I got a pair of Gibson P-90 pickup's for FREE! :D

The pickup covers are a little faded to a kind of "nicotine yellow" but that doesn't bother me

I want to make them in the explorer I'm building right now.

BUT I have no idea how they sound like. B)

Is it a mix between a humbucker and a single coil? :D

Gerard

P-90s are my favourite pickups. They kick extreme amounts of ass!

They are, indeed, single-coils, which means you'll get a nice sharp response and a lot of bite; however they're wound a lot fatter, so you'll get more output and the bite is more of a pronounced higher-mid than an actual 'tele-treble' bitel. The output is hotter than a typical single-coil, as well, but will not push your amp the same way most humbuckers will.

They don't buck the hum. :D

What else to say? I'm not a huge fan of the clean sound of most P90's, but you'll get some fabulous 'barely overdriven' sounds if you dial them in. :D

P-90s... they'll be your favourite, soon, too. B)

WAIT... What am I DOING?

P-90s... they suck. I'll take them off your hands for the cost of the shipping. You don't want them, honest. I'll be doing you a favour.

P-90s... they suck. I'll take them off your hands for the cost of the shipping. You don't want them, honest. I'll be doing you a favour.

:D

Actually if they're genuine...especially vintage ones...you could sell em on the bay

for the price they'll claim you could likely get a whole whack of stuff for that guitar

:DB):D

That's the route I'm thinking of going for my guitar. With wooden pup covers so nobody can tell the difference.

Wow, wooden pickup covers.

What an idea :D

Greetings

Gerard

P-90 in the neck and humbucker in the bridge is an EXCELLENT choice! With a bit of mucking about, you can find out what the polarity of the P-90 is, and do some fancy wiring so that you can get a hum-cancelling blend with one of the coils from the humbucker.

If anybody's really concerned about the different 'looks' and want their guitar to be perfect by having similar-looking pickups, there's always the Kent Armstrong P-90 in a humbucker-size option as seen HERE. Personally, I'd be inclined to go the opposite way and use the P-90 look with a P-90 sized humbucker, which I know are available but I can't find them off hand... I believe they were DiMarzios.

Greg.