String through headstock

Everyone has seen string through bodies...

but will that work for the headstock..You could maybe have something like the old accoustics with the parallel pegs but kind of covered or something......

you could have all of them enter at the same point in the headstock...you wouldn't need string trees and you'd have more freedom to design without the ugly posts sticking out

Actually it was kind of inspired by http://members.aol.com/intertunei/LSR.tuners/

neat tuners...too bad they look ugly...if they were upside down maybe???

that likely wouldn't look much better...I don't know...

Any thoughts???

Heh! I had the same thoughts, when I discovered those tuners. I also wrote them an e-mail, suggesting a cosmetic makeover would get them more clients; however, they politely informed me that there was no further development planned for the tuners' design. Shame!

There's no real reason it wouldn't work, though you'd have to be pretty meticulous about the string path if you wanted it to look decent, and probably drill the holes at an angle.

Perhaps if you contacted LSR, they could put you in touch with a client who had done an installation on the reverse side.

Greg.

In theory you could make a flat headstock (flatter then fender), have the strings go down in angled wholes, and into those tuners.

stringthrupeghead.jpg

The reason for the angled holes would be because you don't want the string coming into contact at any point between the nut and the tuner, to do so creates unwanted friction points that will affect the performance of your tuners. This is why we see alot of the high end guitars with roller string trees, roller nuts, graphite nuts etc.

In theory you could make a flat headstock (flatter then fender), have the strings go down in angled wholes, and into those tuners.

stringthrupeghead.jpg

The reason for the angled holes would be because you don't want the string coming into contact at any point between the nut and the tuner, to do so creates unwanted friction points that will affect the performance of your tuners. This is why we see alot of the high end guitars with roller string trees, roller nuts, graphite nuts etc.

wouldn't the holes make the headstock too weak??

Actually yeah I like how they look on the CoCo as well...

What if rather than an angle where the strings don't touch they touched at a roller...or even maybe a peice of graphite or something...like a seperate nut for each hole

I was originaly envisioning having the string go past the tuner and bend around a roller to reach the tuner...it'd be a little easier to engineer....not with the LSR

something like this

http://montana.gibson.com/guitars/Signature/chetcecec.html

except hidden from the front...you'd just see the small holes...

I'd also probably need longer strings to compensate for the little bit of extra length....depending on how much extra was needed...this would give a lot more freedom with the tuner placement and headstock arrangement...

Would it put too much stress on the string or not tune well or other problems I might not be envisioning right now??

The angled holes wouldn't likely weaken the headstock to the point of snapping it, if you decide to go that way. On the other hand, having little rollers would put "something" on the face of the headstock, which might balance the aesthetic a bit... or not... that new BC Rich seems OK without anything on the headstock. :D

If you use the LSR, you probably won't need longer strings. If you instead tried to do a classical-style but with the slots covered, I don't see how you could accomplish your mission without some headaches whenever you try to change strings.

The LSRs are a bit pricey, but if there was a vote, I'd say try working with those. B)

depending on where you put the holes will determine this aswell, if you drill all the holes as close to the nut as possible and make this tiny little headstock then that might be a problem if you space them out a bit you'll probably fine....

you gotta remember tuning posts go thru a headstock and they don't weeken it to the point of distorting or breaking do they? or what about rear mounted floyd nuts?? 2 big holes going thru the neck right under the stress point of the neck.... and my strat head stock still seems to be on there despite being dropped, walked on, knocked over, etc.. granted both these holes have securing devices going thru them, but the holes required for the strings aren't going to have to be very much bigger then the strings them selves..

i think this will look pretty cool no matter how you do it, keep us posted as to what you end up going with.