Are guitars becoming a thing of the past?

christov

Are Guitars a Thing of the Past?  

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have noticed a distinct lack in the amount of people learning guitar these days. What is happening? Is the instrument we all love so much becoming stale and boring? With bands like muse, NOFX and the "fabled" darkness, how are people NOT learning?!

Possibly it is due to the rise in the ever popular urban music scene......

Sorry, but I can't stand that music. I try to be open minded but I just can't listen to it without thinking that it's stale and repetitive :D

i've noticed no drop in people, i actually think that there are a lot of new bands that are mainly guitar based... for example right now the rasmus, franz ferdinand, mood 7 (i think thats what they're called) etc ... not my tastes.but it always appeals to someone

Obviously you weren't around in the '80s, when the synthesizer was the future, and threatening to "kill" guitars and other non-electronic instruments.

Well, New Wave died.

And even "urban" music has started taking on a bit more of an organic twist. Eminem's last album was loaded with guitars, and Outkast have had guitars heavily in their sound from day 1.

I don't see any downturn, really. If anything, it's video games and the Internet that are taking kids away from learning a musical instrument as a hobby. But almost every time i'm in a music store, i see a kid with a parent at the counter, picking up a starter guitar/amp pack.

If anything I am seeing more and more people wanting to learn to play recently.

Teaching contemporary instruments is something a good drummer friend of mine is very passionate about, so much so that he started a UK wide network of guitar, bass, keyboard and drum tutors (http://www.gigajam.com if your interested).

He seems to be doing well for himself with his lesson content being sold into primary and secondary schools as well as a growing network of personal tutors.

I think basically guitar based music will always excite children, it's very hands on and has much less of a stigma attached to it that traditional classical instruments and music.

You only need see some of these kids partaking in the Gigajam demonstations I've seen to know that the guitar etc ain't becoming a thing of the past, by no means! :D

I

I think guitar is definitely on the upswing again.

Even if it wasn't, and took a nosedive permanently, I'd still be one of those people who would continue to play the 'esoteric' instrument... like one of those people who still plays chamber music on a lute. :D (OK, Lute's not a dead instrument, either, but I couldn't think of a proper example).

Greg.

I think the problem is that people aren't playing their guitars as much as they used to. No solos, thats why I don't know the names of most new bands guitarists. John Mayer himself has said that he doesn't play guitar solos because he wants to be a remembered as a popstar, not a guitar hero.

hmmmm....re-reading that I'm not sure whether its relavent(sp) or not but I don't care.

different aspects of guitar and guitar playing ARE disappearing... like solos are ALOT more scarce... There really aren't many more Jimi Hendrixs and not many more Kirk Hammets... I personally pretty much only solo... Hammet is a god to me...

And power chords and crap is in fashion right now... But i don't think guitar is becoming a thing of the past any time soon.

Soloing is on the upswing again, too. You'll see. YOU'LL ALL SEEeeee!!!

Er, just joshing.

Seriously, though-- I have absolutely no doubt that there will be a 'new wave of classic rock', of which The Darkness is only a fringe (though admittedly the most prominent) member. However, that will still mean that many of the solos are of a style expected in the genre, and won't feature guitar histrionics.

As for shredders... they're back, too, and frankly I don't think they ever fully went away-- there's always been an audience for them, though the mainstream media hasn't featured them in a while.

Greg

OK, it's obvious that no one here listens to country music.

Guitars are RAGING in country music these days, since all the '80's shredders are going bald and moving to Nashville, country music has started to become much more rock influenced in the past several years since the advent of Garth Brooks, Clint Black, Dwight Yoakum, Brad Paisley, and a Ford Truckload of other younger stars.

Hell, listen to the radio, even funk guitar is on a comeback.

Guitars are all over the world, in every kind of music, completely enmeshed in the music of today.

I think the original poster and a few other posters are referring to a very very narrow band of music, 'guitar oriented' rock, or FM wankster rock, or whatever, but that's just one -very- small segment of music when you look at the whole apple.

Yes, 'that' music is on the decline, but the guitar itself?

No way. Not even close.

i believe guitar rock is on a comeback, seems to me like the shedders are starting to get more widely known dt, yngwie, syphony x etc some of the newer metal bands like shadows fall, kill switch engage, in flames they all seem to be gettin big also read a couple guitar magazines youll see

MzI

ive seen the amount of guitar players go up drastically in the past 3 years.

i started taking guitar lessons in 7th grade at school and there was like 5 people in the class.now 3-4 years later theres soooo many guitar players in the school.its something thats considered "cool" to do now.but the only thing is that noone actually puts enough energy into learning it it.thay all think theyre rockstars and just because they own a guitar the ladies will love them. all that to say, its not a thing of the past at all!

And there's always raw sex appeal...

If you're in college carry around a guitar....you don't have to play...you'll get all the attention from the ladies you need

Also the recent awards shows have been dominated by rock...and even pop stations play a lot of rock...

guitar will never be un-cool...

if this were a bag pipes or accordian forum...you'd have something to worry about

i notice that when i play my guiar at school, i ALWAYS get a huge crowd of people. at least 50% of them know how to play well, 20% are able to play, and 30% usually sit back and enjoy.

these groups arent small, or just one type of people. like at least 20 people, from prep to punk to ghetto.

not only do i draw a crowd, but people always say "i wish i had money to buy a guitar" or "wow, ima go home and play my guitar"

yea, have a chilly one