Les Paul help

If I cant have the tune-o-matic I'll probably have a floyd rose.

umm, i though les pauls had tune-o-matics any way!?

Yeah but most Les Pauls dont have Through necks and no neck angles. I read on Warmoth that you need a neck angle for Tune-O-Matics so thats why I'm asking here.

My Godin uses the recessed TOM style and it works groovy. No need for a neck angle if you do it that way. Keep in mind, though that the Godin for one (not sure about other brands) goes string-through right into the body in order to get enough downward angle from the strings after the bridge. If you try to go into a stop tailpiece, you won't get the right string angle and all will be lost. :D

Greg

I was considering a recessed TOM for my guitar, but I think that an angled neck will balance both the look and feel of the guitar out a bit more. If anything, it'll likely be easier than recessing the bridge.

Greg.

The simple answer is no - if it doesn't have an angled neck it isn't a Les Paul.

Besides, if you want to build a Les Paul you better be able to cope with cutting an angled neck pocket or tennon, because it's far from the most complicated task you've got ahead of you.

Strictly speaking, if it's not a Gibson it's not a Les Paul. I'd be more concerned with building what you want to build than "authenticity" anyhow.

To answer your question: A "Tune-O-Matic" is just the bridge part, though when people think of TOM, they also think of the stop tailpiece. I haven't done ANY of this myself, but just by looking at the stop tailpiece, you can guess that recessing the tailpiece won't really work. Even if you could pull it off, if you recess BOTH, then you're definitely looking at more work than simply angling the neck or neck pocket.

In short, I personally wouldn't even consider recessing a tailpiece.

Greg

Strictly speaking, if it's not a Gibson it's not a Les Paul.  I'd be more concerned with building what you want to build than "authenticity" anyhow.

Greg

I disagree. The value of a Gibson logo is a subjective, anyone can build a Les Paul, but not a Gibson. The addition or omission of a logo is not quantifiable or concrete, whilst a significant design feature like neck angle definately is, especially when you consider the knock on effect that omitting it will have on other areas of the guitar.

If the intention of the poster is to build a guitar which performs like a Gibson Les Paul, he has to be faithful to the original design. Every significant variable he changes will result in a difference in performance, be it in feel, sound or appearance.

Of course, if his intention is to build a guitar which fits his needs better than an off the peg design, then you are absolutely right about building what you want, and to hell with the details :D