Router bits

jay5

I have some money designated for router bits. I just got a whiteside top bearing bit for neck pockets and other cavities. I need to get a roundover bit as well as a standard cutting bit for truss rod channels. What size/brand do you guys use for different applications and where do you generally buy them? Also, for anyone who routes out the body shape with a template what size bit do you use for this?

What length cutter is on the pattern bit you bought? A few of us here have been looking for a supplier of a bit similar to what stewmac sells. Derek found a place that sells short (1/2"?) cutting head pattern bits but the smallest dia. is 1/2". I really like the stewmac 3/8" bit. It's just the right height and diameter to do pretty much everything I need (except the body outline). For the body outline, I've been using a 1/2" dia. x 1" pattern bit and then flip the body and use a flush trim bit. Some sanding is still needed but I really prefer routing over any thing else I have tried - especially for maple bodies.

What are you using for templates? I know stewmac is expensive but for templates, I think their stuff is well worth the money. I really like the clear templates with the center lines - real easy to work with. I just wish they were a bit thicker sometimes.

I buy from routerbits.com they are based in Atlanta and I got my bits in three days.

When I do my template bodies I use the 1/4 top bearing bit. It takes the perfect amount off.

Whiteside Machine Company is the only place to buy bits, espcially the top bearing bits. Anything large than 1/2 just wastes the bit.

Looks to be a great bit!

I just bought my 2 bits today-- 1 that's a straight-cut 3/16" (for the truss rod channel), and a 1/2" flush trim bit with ball-bearing guide. Both are Freud.

Greg

I got one of the Whiteside template bits and love it... The rest of mine though are Bad Dog Tools. They don't have them on their website though. I bought mine at a tool show for $250. It got 50 bits though, and they have a lifetime warranty against breaking and chipping. Of course they are a 1/2 inch shank, so I don't think I have to worry about breaking...if you wanna check out some of the other tools bad dog has their website is www.baddogtools.com. I also have their drill bits and they are wicked... They got a nice angle vice setup for like 55 bucks also... Of course I got mine free with the purchase of the router bits and the drill bit set...

Also I just checked out the routerbits.com website, and I didn't know you could get bits custom made... I might have to check into one that will cut my neck profile for me and just break down and get a router table for it... :D