Chrome Illusion Paint idea

DaveK

I had a thought that I wanted to submit to the group...

I have wanted to do a guitar in Dupont Chrome illusion paint for about 6 months.

The problem is that Dupont will only sell this stuff by the gallon!

At $300 per gallon it is NOT cheap.....so here is my thought

I am told that it only takes about a pint of this stuff to paint a guitar

There are 8 pints to a gallon

Is there 7 other peolpe that want to chip in about $40 each & we can devide the paint up between us?

The only issue is that it would have to be here in the USA, as you can not ship paint over the border

Let me know if there is any interest out there

Thanks

Dave

Last I heard it was $300 a quart, the stuff must be getting cheaper, anyway why don't you cruise the local car custom paint shops and see if they have some left over from a previous job? They never throw it away because of touchups and well people like us. :D

Have you thought of some of these new acrylic (well new to me) products such as those by Plasti-Kote. I just bought some red and laquer and the useability and finish was far superior (in my hands anyway) than using cellulose.

I did notice that they offer all sorts of wonderful finishes including chrome, gold and a host of "special effect" type paints etc.

Here is the link if you are interested

http://www.spraypaint.co.uk/ - then go to products

Brian & Jeremy were right !

It's $300 a Quart...not a Gallon!

Sorry for any confusion :D

I am having a very hard time finding any "leftovers" of this stuff at any body shops

You would think, living in the "Motor City" (Detroit) that it would be easier to find!

Is there anyone on the forum who has a pint they want to sell?

This is a bummer!!!!

Dave

i dont know if its exactly the same but i recently did a saga tele kit in this

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/mirage.html

its pretty cool, i rushed it a bit but its still pretty cool. only cost 20 bucks for the primer the color change layer and thier clear coat in 1 kit. Micheals crafts sells a similar kit and if you watch your sunday paper they always have 40-50% off coupons.

im intrested to see how it works without their base coat. i saw a greenish les paul in the Hollywood GC this weekend that looked like it was done that way.

john

MAN is everyone doing their guitars is mirage???? 2 of my friends did theirs and i had already bought the paint for mine when i found out and im waiting to paint mine damn cold weather...grrr i wanted a unique guitar not one that everyone has!!! i guess its back to the idea bank in my brain

Rich :D

Hey Rich, since you already have one kit go grab a second with a different color!

Do the whole body in one let it dry and mask it off in some wicked design and use the other color for that B)

God Dammit!!! I' was gonna do my new Petrucci custom like that B):D:DB):D

Oh well You've forced my hand... I'm going all out now wait til you guys see what I have in store. The body is almost finished being routed. we broke the Pin Router template and had to make a new one before we can finish the body B):D

Yes it works on guitars :D Of course if you would rather use the nitro on top you can, just skip the clear from the kit.

It really shouldn't give you any problems but just to be sure do a test board spot somewhere else while your spraying the body, that way you can tell if your particular brand of nitro is going to orange peel the color coat, but I'm pretty sure it won't. I know for a fact the waterbourne lacquer clear coats won't mess up the finish. B)

Well i might as well tell my "so called secret" paint scheme lol ok first off last year when i started my RG550 project into a Jem i picked out the gold/magenta mirage color actually i painted it and decided to go ahead with all the Jem features so i sanded it back down but the neck has been finished and might i say "green" Ibanez logo kicks ass on it. Now Scott i know your anger lol cause atthe point when i painted the body the first time i got the idea to do the "Petrucci pattern" with the two different mirage colors( gold/magenta and green/silver ). I did a test peice to see and ....Whoa it kicks ass!!! Of course if i had money to throw away i' love to get the "Kamelian colors" from House of Kolor. I saw this back in '98 i think when I went to the Drag races, it was introduced on Dean Skuzas Matco tools funny car and it puts dupli-colors version to shame. But thats where dupli-color got the mirage from..so"us common folk" could enjoy it too lol.

• 2 weeks later...