difference between stop and tonepros

Haven't held a TonePros and a regular Tune-O-Matic in-hand for a direct comparison... but my local guitar tech seems to think your summary is about accurate. As he tells the story: "The rep from TonePros comes in trying to get us to stock these things. I say, 'So when I'm restringing my guitars, the bridge won't fall off? That's it?' As you can see, we don't stock TonePros."

Greg

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Tone pros will enhance sustain, by the stronger contact. No slop on the posts. And true, the bridge wont fall off, but that isnt the point. You can hear the difference.

so if i can drill two holes and then tap them i will save myself 40 bucks and get the same result?

yes, you could buy a $40 tap set, a box of set screws for $15, and spend two-five hours making your own. Not sure how long it will take to drill a dead straight hole, thats 1.5" long, AND then tap it with the smallest tap you can find....

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

You dont, because the set screw locks to the post. But this method will not work as well, due to cost and the Tonepros post is not threaded past the adjusting nuts. That is so the set screw can lock it into place.

I've read many positive reviews, too. I knew about the 'tone enhancing' thing, but I was just being a bit fecetious. :D Frankly, I'm surprised the TonePros method isn't the standard one, as it seems to be a butt-simple extra bit of technology... in large-scale manufacturing application, it couldn't work out to more than an extra $1 US per unit.

So despite the allegedly better tone (I'm inclined to believe it... but let's face it, there's a whole mythology of tone out there and very little science or practical experience... we tend to believe the hype (myself included) very quickly) I'm loathe to pay an extra $50 for two taps.

Greg.