Help On New Pickups and Wiring

rockfan500

Well here is what I plan on doing with my guitar. I'm new to guitar electronics and wiring and such and don't quite know what i need to acheieve what i want to do.

I currently have a Squier Stratocaster with the stock set up. I plan on purchasing three new symour duncan pickups. Two Humbuckers, one for the neck, and one for the bridge position, and a new single coil for the middle. I then also want to have 3 potometers, one controling each pickup. Those pots would be dual ones, with volume on top, and tone on the bottom. I would of course still have my five way switch controlling the pickups. I then would also like to incorporate coil tapping for both humbuckers, so i can flip a switch or something and make both humbuckers into single coils. I don't know if that is posible with regular humbuckers or if you need a certain type.

Like i said before I'm new to guitar wiring and how pickups work and such, so if you could help me out in letting me know what i need to acomplish what i want to do i will greatly appreciate your help. I'm sure my idea's sound crazy, but I think it'd be a sweet set up. Thanks

I currently have a Squier Stratocaster with the stock set up. I plan on purchasing three new symour duncan pickups. Two Humbuckers, one for the neck, and one for the bridge position, and a new single coil for the middle. I then also want to have 3 potometers, one controling each pickup. Those pots would be dual ones, with volume on top, and tone on the bottom. I would of course still have my five way switch controlling the pickups. I then would also like to incorporate coil tapping for both humbuckers, so i can flip a switch or something and make both humbuckers into single coils. I don't know if that is posible with regular humbuckers or if you need a certain type.

Actually, it sounds like you've got it pretty much figured out. A Str*t has three pots, use your dual pots, one for each pickup. Hook up the output of each volume/tone setup to the 5-way exactly the way you would normally hook up the pickups. All you have to do then is get 4 conductor pickups, like the JB Jr/Little 59'er, and find a place for the coil switches. It sound way too complicated to use on stage, but I like simple, so while it doesn't appeal to me, you may love it. Check out the GuitarNuts.com site for more ways to rewire a Str*t than you ever wanted to know about.

Lovekraft,

Just a quick question for ya .....

How come you substitute an * for an (A) in your reply ? Is there a lincensing / copyright issue with using the name Str@t ? Just wondering ....

Well, I've never personally gotten any grief from Flinder Mustical Increments, but they are a bit sensitive about that sort of thing, so I guess I do it to poke fun at 'em. You know, if they had continued to make really good guitars, they wouldn't have to sue folks to keep market share (and don't even get me started on those guys in Nashville that begin with a "G"). But that's just me ( and I have been told that I am just a bit too opinionated). :D