kahler knockoff trem

thanks for the pic.i am confused it is obviously a tremelo but comparing it to a flat mount it seems to be missing the cam.(the part the bar goes in).it looks strange.why don't you measure from the nut to the bridge at the roller on the #3or#4 string and see if it jives with the scale from the nut to the #12 fret (doubled).maybe i am crazy but it seems like the saddles are too far back in the bridge as if someone modified it incorrectly.to be clear it looksas if the cam is missing and the saddles are moved back to compensate.i don't even know if that is possible but that is what it seems like.if your scale is longer than it should be then that is probably what happened.i have seen people do all kinds of strange things to guitars and i think you mentioned it was like this when you bought it.anyways tell me what you think.i am really curious.

God, I haven't seen one of those in 10 years. Ugh.

Those were Kahler knockoffs from the late '80s. there is no cam, like a Kahler. They balance on pivots on the front left and right sides of the middle "floating" part. They have terrible tuning stability. I'd tell you to chuck it and get a real Kahler, but unfortunately, the routs are completely different.

There are a few cool features of these though. The bar goes in the holes on either side of the saddle, so the trems are left- or right-handed. The allen key on the very back edge of the "floating" part allows you to lock the bridge into a non-floating position.

Peace

~d~

Nope, sorry. I can't remember if the bar is threaded or push-in. If it's threaded, I'd try a metric bar from allparts.

Also, the allen key in the front of the bridge adjusts your spring tension. It's a cool design, too bad it doesn't work. LOL

~d~

25 bucks for a kahler trem arm!!!

why the f*ck should i pay1/4 of what i payed for the guitar for the f*cking trem arm l;ol

they can go f*ck themselves lol

F*cking to top it off 50 bucks for the whole trem unit!!

Rich :D

OK lol no that im done with that lil rant lol

Ill try a few "strat" trem arms i have and im going to guitar show in 10 days (hopefully our fave mod from hell will be their B) ) and ill take her to see if i can get anything thatll work there

Its threaded and i got a strat copy trem arm to work and the whole thing is a major POS lol im only using that guitar without the trem ....One thing i realley hate bout it is the arm doesnt move easily like on a strat so its in my way when im playing

I do, I admit it. :D

Anyway, I've a had a few emails from forum users about these trems. If yours is broken, good luck. They're made of the world's cheapest pot metal (not brass like Kahlers were) and if a structural part breaks you're f***ed. Kahlers will not fit without major modification to your guitar, due to the totally different rout.

Nearly every guitar maunfacturer put these on their low end guitars in the mid to late '80s. Search on eBay for your cheepie brand of choice: Dean, Hohner, Washburn, Ovation, Aria, ESP, et al.

Good luck!

~d~