ES335 electrics

But how do they get the electronic bits into an ES335, I notice that they do not have a cutout in the back so do u feed the electrical bits in through the "F" hole?

It's not a life or death matter but sometimes I hate not knowing how something is done and this particular puzzle is getting to me.

Cheers Tony

When I do it, everything goes in (and comes out) thru the bridge pkp hole.

Some use fishing line, others use wire, but you attach wires to each device thru it's hole and then pull them thru like little marionette dolls.

It's a pain in the rear, truth be told. :D

And if you're building a harness from scratch, you will want to make a little fake-out from a piece of wood so you can simulate the distances between each pot to each other to get the wire lengths dead-correct first.

After rewiring and customizing my Gibson hollowbody a bunch of times I figured out I could just use my fingers through the "F" holes to lift the pots in to place. However the jack needed some help with a piece of string.

When placing the jack you can run a dowel through the hole,then through the jack.

Put a hole in the dowel and stick a toothpick through the hole then you just draw the jack into place.Just gotta watch for the wires :D

• 2 weeks later...

I worked for Gibson for quite awhile and the way we did it in the plant was simple. We fed all the electronics through the bridge pickup hole. We used a very high tech tool made of a lenghty piece of heavy guage copper wire with a 1/4" male jack soldered to the end. Before we fed the electonics through the pickup hole, we would run the copper wire with the 1/4" jack through the jack hole on the body and out the bridge pickup hole and plug it into the output jack. We then used the copper wire contraption to help feed the electronics into the body so they didn't get all twisted up inside the body and stuff.We then used yet another custom made fork thingy made out of heavy guage copper wire (a lengthy straight piece with a U shaped piece soldered to the end) to lift and hold the electronics in their proper holes. That is the way I do it to this day. The great thing with the copper wire is it's cheap, strong enough to hold what you need it to hold, but pliable enough to easily bend to whatever shape you need it too to get it through the body. The entire time I worked there that is the only trick I ever learned. Oh yeah,... I learned how to use a CNC machine well too.

• 2 weeks later...

I use a short guitar cable with one end cut off. Loading parts through bridge PU hole attach 1/4" jack to output jack and pull harness into place. Once jack is pulled through hole you can slide on washer and nut before removing plug. Forceps to pull pots and a violin post setter to support from the bottom through the f-hole. Always a pain no matter what but this is the system that works best for me.

NV

• 3 weeks later...
one of my friends just wires it up with the back off....... then glues the back on....... i guess it's just a matter of how you want to do it

That has got to be one of most difficult ways to do it! B)

and I certainly wouldn't recommend that as a way to wire a hollow body! :D

• 3 weeks later...